Suggestions on welding holes in the engine bay?

Hey,
I'm about to remove my engine and tranmission for the first time :flag: Well anway, I was wondering what your suggestions were for welding the little holes in the engine bay shut (the ones I don't need, which are many. I have a Hobart 135 MIG welder w/ flux core wire (I am planning on getting the argon/Co2 mix later, but right now I'm saving up for the engine rebuild, h/c/i and transmission swap). Can I just use the flux core wire to weld the holes shut? Do I need to hold something behind the holes or no? I suppose I just sand down each hole to the metal for a clean surface, get a good ground, and start welding? Also, what's the best method to sand and prime this stuff? I don't have any painting stuff, so is there some kind of paint on or "rattle can" primer that would be good? I am planning on paying someone else to paint the engine bay the same color as the car. Thanks for your help! :)

God bless
Pslam 27:14

• Sponsors (?)

ok what you really need is the standard wire and the c02/argon gas mix. The fluxcore wire bites the big one. It's a night ad day difference between the gass and fluxcore.

Second, take a wire wheel to both faces around the hole. Take off all crud and pain down to bare shiney metal.

If you can't find copper plates for extremely cheap, buy a small piece of copper piping. Cut through one wall of it, spread the tubing out with plyers and screwdriver enough so that you can hammer it flat.

Use the copper plate to cover the opposite side of the hole that you are welding from. Use long c-clamps or very strong industial body magnets.

start welding from the edges of the hole in. Make sure your tip is approx. 45 degrees off of the face of the shet metal. Go very slowly and allow the welds to cool down. Otherwise you're badly and irreversably warp the metal.

Once everythign has ben welded up, use a high speed grinder to knock dogn the face of the plug welds. Remember to grind in small doses to avoid heat buildup and warping.

Thanks for the very informative post Oboebrian!

I went to Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, and a welding shop and none of them had the copper plate, so I may try the piping suggestion. Can I possibly not just hold the copper plate w/ my hand while the other hand is welding the hole shut? I got a price quote on the gas setup, so I should be getting it soon :)

I am about to weld up some parts for my bay tomorrow and I had bought some flux wire and today I found someone to loan me a bottle of argon so now I can get the reg wire w/ using gas. I never used the flux wire but hear it really sux. Good Luck though

Tstang90 said:
I am about to weld up some parts for my bay tomorrow and I had bought some flux wire and today I found someone to loan me a bottle of argon so now I can get the reg wire w/ using gas. I never used the flux wire but hear it really sux. Good Luck though

Yeah, you can do it w/ flux core, but it's easy to make it look messy, but I don't know if that'd be an issue since you or I am going to be sanding them anyway when it's done :)

Cammed90Notch said:
Thanks for the very informative post Oboebrian!

I went to Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, and a welding shop and none of them had the copper plate, so I may try the piping suggestion. Can I possibly not just hold the copper plate w/ my hand while the other hand is welding the hole shut? I got a price quote on the gas setup, so I should be getting it soon :)

You're not going to want to hold the copper long-it will get hot pretty quick (from the heat from the weld).