Super Stiff Rear Spring/shock Combo

Well the springs they are paired with are stiffer than standard Fox springs. I have Tokico Blues paired with Mach 1 springs, and find the handling to be quite nice, while giving me a decent ride.

I think your issue is soft, high milage springs, combined with shocks/struts designed to work with stiffer springs, so the valving may be a little "slow". Like I said before, I'd probably go with a shock/strut that is adjustable, and run them pretty firm, or find a decent spring/shock combo that is pretty matched.
Did your height drop with the mach1 springs?

• Sponsors (?)

Did your height drop with the mach1 springs?

It's probably at stock height, or maybe a tad lower. I could definitely go for 1/2" lower. I have the MM adjustable arms out back, so that's easy to do. The front? Might have to trim 1/2 a coil. The spring rates are 600 lb front, 250lb rear. I believe stock Fox spring rates are 425-530 front, and 200-300 rear.

IMG_8009.JPG

If you want to spend the money...can't beat the c/o-adj struts/shocks. option imo. I love mine. I'm running 150# front springs (mm units) and the strut (strange engineering)is set in the medium setting. Very soft ride but handling isn't going to be what your looking for. I'd think a 225# spring would give you a lot of cornering ability. Not sure on a good rear spring rate.

I will say the eibach kit I ran handled very well and that was with stock swaybars. I just didn't like the stiff ride and am not into corner carving(they sucked at straight line acceleration i.e. Track times). Good kit though imo.

If you want to spend the money...can't beat the c/o-adj struts/shocks. option imo. I love mine. I'm running 150# front springs (mm units) and the strut (strange engineering)is set in the medium setting. Very soft ride but handling isn't going to be what your looking for. I'd think a 225# spring would give you a lot of cornering ability. Not sure on a good rear spring rate.

I will say the eibach kit I ran handled very well and that was with stock swaybars. I just didn't like the stiff ride and am not into corner carving(they sucked at straight line acceleration i.e. Track times). Good kit though imo.
I've just vastly re-thought the cars intended use over the last year. Occasional track days and standing quarter miles just don't register with me anymore. What I truly miss is just driving the thing like I did when it was stock. The engine mods feel good and I don't regret those, but since the suspension was changed something has been horribly wrong. I even took it to a shop and had them go through the suspension to make sure it was installed correctly and everything checked out.
In the interest of budget I've just contemplated selling the front control arms and going with the eibach kit or something similar.

Reactions: 1 user
I've just vastly re-thought the cars intended use over the last year. Occasional track days and standing quarter miles just don't register with me anymore. What I truly miss is just driving the thing like I did when it was stock. The engine mods feel good and I don't regret those, but since the suspension was changed something has been horribly wrong. I even took it to a shop and had them go through the suspension to make sure it was installed correctly and everything checked out.
In the interest of budget I've just contemplated selling the front control arms and going with the eibach kit or something similar.
I know suspension stuff can be frustrating man and I hope you get it figured out. I will share my story.

My car started out as a 6 ofcourse. I originally had the v6 eibach's on and when i did the engine change in 02, I put on the v8 eibach pro's. I had kyb struts and monroe shocks, their best one. Had hotchkis CC plates on as well. Mac upper and lower arms were put on the rear and after the bushings wore out, I got the energy suspension poly kit and we had to make them work to fit in the Mac arms. I always had a speaker box with 2 10's in it so around 50-60 lbs,ish. Ran that setup for awhile and later developed a rub going over certain dips in roads but seemed on the pass side rear only. Got tired of that and wanted to do some upgrades. I had 18x9 saleen wheels on front and 10's on the rear with 295 35 18's.

I went with Tokico HP blues struts and shocks, moog balljoints and i believe moog bushings, poly sway bar end links and sway bar bushings. On the rear i had a new set of stock upper arms and so just used those, but bought a set of J & M's for the lowers. Had everything put on and while the car drove much much better overall, much more solid, the damn thing sat much much higher in the front. It may have been higher in the front already, but was much much more higher. Even after driving it for awhile it still stayed the same. I rolled the fenders as best I could for the rub situation and it helped some, better than it was but I still heard it on those certain spots in the road and especially with someone with decent weight in the front. I bought poly rear spring ISO's and put in and also made sure the pigtails on the springs were facing the correct way. Situation was still pretty much the same and the last thing I did before the car got rear ended a week later, was put on a set of stock springs and cut some off till we got a nice height and it seemed fine. It was fine with just me in there going over those same dips in the road and was going to test it that weekend with my son in there. Never got to test it out.

Anyway bought another 95 that i'm going to build a 351 for. It is lowered now but to as far as I can see, the rear shocks are gabriels and not sure what the front is yet. I will take it to precision tune soon to get it up in the air and see what else was done. It has 17 inch chrome wheels on it and I will put my 18's on eventually. As of now the car is definitely too low and I will definitely be upgrading the supsension. I do know that i WILL go with coil overs on the front. i will not take a chance and have to settle for whatever the spring gives me lol. More than likely a MM coil over kit though it's about $375 just for the kit and that's without struts. The dang Bilstiens run between ( 187 from ebay, tire rack) and $224 from MM. Might can find cheaper when I start looking around so I expect just for the front setup to be around 700-800 bucks and still have to get new balljoints, bushings, sway bar end links ( if i don't go with a nice new pretty red sway bar lol) then I'll need sway bar bushings. I do want it done right though so i will just have to bite the bullet. At least i will have adjustability on the front because i will run a speaker box still, just this time and actually forgot to mention but 2-3 months before that I had just put in a box for a single 10 inch, made out of burch wood so it was only around 35-40 lbs, maybe 45 ish.

As for the rear, I was thinking about using the eibachs I took off the other car and still maybe going with tokico hp's for the rear because the rear actually wasn't bad. I will roll the fenders if I have that same rub though, have it rolled at a shop this time. Not sure if i will use those springs or just get a nice set, not the eibach pros. I will try something else. Might just go with adjustable arms but not sure i will need them. Definitely will get another set up rear upper and lower arms though and i believe doing research before I bought the J&M's, they I believe have a warranty on the bushings or will swap them out, i'll have to double check. Anyway just wanted to share what was going on with mine as well and maybe you guys can voice your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks and think i mentioned everything :D

Reactions: 1 user