SURPRISE...Just Finished TWO Race Cars!!!

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Getting my 2 Girls' cars ready for the PINEWOOD DERBY :rlaugh: next week!

Took the cars tonight to be weighed and test run. The races are next Wednesday
880953Derby1.jpg

880954Derby2.jpg

880955Derby3.jpg

Here are the pics in progress...Blank wood, and each of the blocks with the intial cut-outs.

880938Derby-Start.jpg

880947Derby-BarbieStart.jpg

880949Derby-SpongeBobStart.jpg

For those of you who know something about these...Here are a few things I did:

1. The Barbie head houses a heavy lag bolt which I was able to add some washers at weigh-in. Weight was 4.7 ounces (5.0 maximum allowed). Also have washers on the spoilers.

2. Sponge Bob had to be cut with the top squared to paint the design. His blue eyes are painted washers to add weight. The bolts in the back allowed addition of washers before weigh in...WEIGHT=5 ounces... :nice:

3. I sanded and Yes, POLISHED 3 of the wheel axles.

4. The fourth axle is there for looks only. It is the front right of each car. That wheel will NOT ride the track (less friction = faster car)

5. The back axles where added to holes which I drilled with a drill press...KEEPS the wheels more aligned.

6. I sanded the wheel holes to allow smoother turning.

7. Used GRAPHITE as wheel lube, not oils.

I test-run both cars tonight and they FLEW down the track and hit the back stop wall after the 'slow-down' blocks. MOST cars did NOT make it to the back wall.

The races are next week. My girls are in DIFFERENT age groups, so they both have a chance at best show AND go.. I will keep you posted..
ENJOY.
RC

• Sponsors (?)

str8stang036 said:
Finally I get to see the cars!!! Looks a lot better than I expected. It will be cool if one of your girls wins best in show, and the other fastest race car.

Actually, they "could" both win both..They are in different age groups.

Last night when everyone left, they were going to judge best show. Then Next week they race.

Thanks
RC

Nice cars and all.... love spongebob, but
Shouldn't your girls have made their own cars?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the point of the race that kids learn some mechanical skills? Cuz, really, you'd be winning best of show. Twice.

This isnt a flame, I'm just curious.

BlackFox5.0 said:
I made a CO2 powered car in junior high before, I think mine was the fastest :)

I put Talc Powder (same as baby powder) on the axles of mine.

Like mine, I'm sure your cars have to meet certain size requirements?
i made one of those too, i forget how mine did but it did pretty well.

RC my money is on sponge bob :nice:

Awesome, pinewood derby cars are so much fun. I was State champion in the Boy Scouts, I'll post a pic of the car tomorrow.

You should probably use some 10W30 to slick back Barbies hair before the race, shouldn't add any weight, but much less drag coefficient.

god i remember building those things. had the most aerodynamic design possible, used powder graphite in the wheels and had weight down to the closest possible tenth. haha, those were the days. which i could do that to my car now and make it fast

There are TOO many posts here since my last, so I cant reply to all, but here are some points.

1. NO 7-yo made their own car...My girls helped with little tid bits.
2. You should NOT use liquid lubricants...collects dirt...Powered GRAPHITE.
3. Just by the Testing last night, it seems that the Barbie car is a little more sound on the track than SPonge Bob, But Sponge BOB is EXACTLY 5 oz (max limit)

4. Aerodynamics is LEAST important factor in the Pinewood Derby (trust me on this one). Most important are

----a. MAX weight of car. (w/ most of weight at the rear wheels)
----b. MAX length of car.
----c. Longest possible Wheel base
----d. STRAIGHT wheel alignment, and only ONE front wheel touching the track
----e. Graphite lubricant and polishing axles and sanding wheels.

I read some reports and even a High School Student's Science fair project that proved with the short distance of the track and "low" speeds, that Aerodynamics doesnt matter. Even a Hot dog shaped car has one the derby.

OINK...You should have POLISHED that Car :lol:

Thanks guys.
RC

BlownStangGT said:
I used to make them for a chuch thing called awana...my dad always knew the right stuff to do cause I always won design and speed torphies!!!!!
Thats what these are for.

AWANAS!

Im hoping each of my girls will win something. They are very smart but not atheletic, so it's nice if they can win a trophy.

MIKE: How the h3ll are you?
RC