Suspension install

gdear66

Jan 1, 2004
Memphis, TN
Hello everyone

I have a tech question. I just bought the MRT suspension package for my '02 GT: springs, shocks, struts and was wanting to do the install myself. However I do not have the advantage of a lift to work with. Has anyone done this kind of job in their driveway? Is this possible? If so any help would be appreciated regarding how you setup, specialty tools, pitfalls, etc. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

As long as you have a jack and a set of stands it's a piece of cake. I didn't use a spring compressor, some guys do. For the front struts, an air ratchet is handy for the top strut nut. It's not necassary. Do a search for an install write up. Good luck!

Jay

Yeah its very easy to do. Even without a lift. I did my springs in the garage with a floor jack and jackstands. I didnt use a sprong compressor either. If you disconnect the tierod ends in the front the A arm will drop down far enough for the front springs to be pulled right out. Good luck on your install. Its pretty straight forward.

It is fairly easy to do. There are numerous web sites that have walktru's to pretty much everything. As stated before the hardest thing to do is the front springs (which are not very hard either) just take your time and as always it is always easier to do this with two people.

A friend of mine and I did mine in about 1hr 15min. Would have been shorter if we had remembered to install my new pinion snubber before we let the backend down and jacked the front up.

Like someone else stated, as spring compressor is not needed. The OEM front springs took some manhandling, but the rears just fall out. Then, when you put the new ones in the new springs are short enough that they pretty much just slip into place.

Good luck and enjoy the improved handling :nice:

No Problem

I did mine last week by myself. It took me 5 hours to do, but I was being very careful and rechecking everything as I went along. It works best if you have four jack stands. Good Luck. :nice: