svo rear end/front axles & brakes

NKau

Founding Member
Dec 15, 2001
Jefferson, WI
Hey guys. I normally post over on the 5.0 part of the forum, but have a question regarding some info regarding svo parts and figured you guys may have some expertise in the area. I'm looking to convert my 5.0 notch to 5-lug while gaining the correct track width and hub diameter in order to swap on some stern wheels (for those familiar with them).
I was wondering what the actual differences are in rearends/axles/brakes and the front spindles/brakes between '87-'93 5.0's and the SVO's.
Is it even feasible to attempt to swap on the neccessary SVO style parts versus just doing the sn95 setup? Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

I had the SVO style brakes on my car, although modified to retain stock offset.

Basically, a 84-90 Lincoln Mark 7 uses the same brake setup, so you can rob one from a boneyard.

Out back, the track is increased with longer axles. It's a 11.35" disk rear end with 54mm calipers. The mark 7 rear disk setup is a direct bolt on for any 8.8 and there are tons of them in junkyard.

Up front is a different story. The spindle is the same as a 5.0 Mustang. The rotor is also IDENTICAL to the 4-lug rotor except it has 5 lugs in it (and Mark 7's have ABS rings in the back). The caliper is a 73mm Unit that will bolt on to stock calipers fine.

The offset for the front is gained by longer front control arms on the SVO. It will be kinda hard to find these i think.

Also, the Master cylinder is different, you would need an 84-86 SVO MC.

Nkau, you might want to give Saleen a call and ask them what the offsets are on those rims you want. Only reason i say this now is ai just realized they were 17x8 in front and 17x9 out back. That could very well mean two different offsets. The SA-10 rims you want sometimes came with an Alcon front disk upgrade, which may or may not use the same offset as the SVo style setup.

I'd just think it's time to get it straight from the horses mouth.

I wouldn't waste time with an SVO setup. I did and i ended up replaced the front with SN95. The rear is ok, but i'd just go SN95 all the way.

What in particular did you dislike about the Mark VII stuff? Those cars are just about in every junkyard I frequent in WI. I guess most people tend to agree with your thinking though, so I'll probably give up on that idea.
I'll have to find out the specifics on the backspacing of those wheels before I do anything else.
Might I ask what is involved in the sn95 upgrade? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

NKau said:
What in particular did you dislike about the Mark VII stuff? .

Well, it was the front's i didn't like. Compared to the 13" stuff i have no, no contest.

Just an old design. The combo rotor hub holds too much heat and loves to warp rotors. The 73mm caliper is heavy as hell too.

I mean if all you are looking to do is mount those wheels, it's fine.

I saw your other thread. If those rims end up coming back as +25 front and +39 rear for the offsets, i beleive that it would work on stock offset front and an Sn95 offset rear.

Mustang5L5 said:
Basically, a 84-90 Lincoln Mark 7 uses the same brake setup, so you can rob one from a boneyard.

Out back, the track is increased with longer axles. It's a 11.35" disk rear end with 54mm calipers. The mark 7 rear disk setup is a direct bolt on for any 8.8 and there are tons of them in junkyard.

Up front is a different story. The spindle is the same as a 5.0 Mustang. The rotor is also IDENTICAL to the 4-lug rotor except it has 5 lugs in it (and Mark 7's have ABS rings in the back). The caliper is a 73mm Unit that will bolt on to stock calipers fine.

Mr. Nitpicky SVO guy says:

I don't know if you're talking about the Mark or the SVO (I thought they were the same but I'm not positive), but the SVO rear is 11.25", not 11.35", and the SVO rotor is .07" bigger than the 5.0 rotor (10.91" vs 10.84").

So we are talking 0.07" for the front and 0.1" for the rear. That's a couple millimeters. big deal.

Just curious where did you get your info. Every publication i have read lists the SVO rear disks at 11.35". I even measured mine once and they were a tad bit bigger than 11 and 1/4"