Tapping the sensor for PI swap

RysRed96GT

I like it FURRY!!!
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
Pasadena, MD
alright, im still confused. i realize there are now two different sensos for the 96-98 GT's. im assuming they're still going to be in the same positions on the new intake. but my question is tapping. for the 2000 intake manifolds, i understand we are supposed to tap the T-stat housing, correct? my confusion is, wouldnt this cause different temp readings since it's above where the tstat opens and closes? or would it not matter? im asking because on the 98 intake, it's on the cross-runner, but it probably wont have the same effect if tapped into the top of the tstat housing. but could this still work? is this how everyone else is doing it?

also, which sensor controls what? one senses for the computer, the other senses for the gauges. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

standing in front of the car, the one on the left goes to the guage. the one on the right that you have to tap is for the pcm. should be a flat spot next to the thermostat housing. that is where I put mine.

RysRed96GT said:
so tapping into the tstat housing, even though coolant isnt flowing through it the same way as it would on the intake runner, would still work? :shrug: do u know what that sensor would control, the gauges or comp?
Ry I heard people actualy doing the swap would weld
a post on the thermostat housing and attach the second sensor to the
new post.I think the swap is an aborting to get everything too work out
right!

athensoutkast - there is no flat spot on mine, the 99 and 00 ones do not have the bare aluminum crossover piece wth the area next to the housing to tap. mine is the 00 manifold and doesnt have this section, so my guess is to tap the metal housing over the tstat, but i wanted to make sure this method was used before and is sucessful.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If you have the newer block there is a plug in the water jacket on the drivers side near the back of the block put it there. If you are like me and the plug is behind the motor mount you will need the following.
1. 3/8 NPT tap
2. 9/16 drill bit. On the tap it says to use a 39/64 bit which is impossible to find use the 9/16 because it is .002 smaller and you will need it a little tight.

On the top of your t stat housing there is a kinda small flat spot locate the center of that. Drill the 9/16 hole then tap it with the 3/8 NPT tap. Be careful and get this as straight as possible and run the tap down until it gets fairly tight and use some kind of lubricant whil you do it. The reason I say take your time is you will only get 1 or 2 threads in the thin aluminum. When you get the hole threaded use some pipe sealer (not silicone) on the sensor and screw it in.

You will notice a small variation in the readings when it is cold and warming up but at operating temperature everything is normal.

billyfe390 said:
If you have the newer block there is a plug in the water jacket on the drivers side near the back of the block put it there.
That's where I put the second temp sensor (the one for the gauge) on my PI swap. It works perfect, all you have to to is extend the wires and it threads right in.