Test drove a 05 GT for about 20 miles!

I test drove a GT (auto) today and I must admit I was a little disappointed with the power. I've owned my '89 notch for 11 years and 3 of those have been supercharged. What's worse is my '89 is an AOD. Still with the SC I would guess my notch is somewhere near 280-290 HP. When I drove the '05 it immediately did not have the kick my '89 had. It could be the SC but I expected similar if not more power from the '05. Of course I'm basing this on my seat-of-pants meter. Can a stiffer platform really make that much of a difference? That '04 Cobra is looking more enticing now. However, everything else on the '05 I loved.

• Sponsors (?)

Going along with what Jpjr said earlier and what others said...would the new platform really push the new GT into the same time realm of the 04 Cobra, now? Just a honest question...Plus continning with what Jphr, said, I remember reading somewhere that back in the day, automakers used to hand out cars to magazines that were...hm a little over stock performance and with somethings not found stock, lack of noise reduction, different tires, etc...Just a thought.

well maybe i'm biased because i own a cobra. and maybe soon to be 05 owners are biased because they are picking up a new stang. but i technically do not see how an 05 is within .02-0.3 of an 04 supercharged 4v cobra. and i'm trying to be objective here, i certainly am not getting my feelings hurt because the GT will never touch my soon to be 500hp monster. but really, can suspension/chassis enhancements alone compensate for 90 less horsepower on a car of similar weight greater drag coeffecient?

manicmustangman said:
How often do you trade cars? You've had an '03, have a Mach and are looking to buy a an '05...
You think that is bad? I had '00, '01 GT Prem, '02 GT Prem, (almost bought a Mystichrome Cobra but the dealer wanted too much mark-up), '04 Mach 1 (just bought in April and will keep as my race car), and am getting my wife an '05 GT Premium w/red Interior Accent.

Those who think that the '05 is going to be faster - who knows. Different track, weather, driver, etc. can be contributing factors in this battle. Just like you cannot answer the question will it beat the '04 GTO. The real answer is "it depends on the driver." A crappy driver in one car and a good driver in the other and you have a won race. The true test is how satisfied you are with YOUR car. If the '05 is for you, then buy one. If not, then don't. If you want an unbiased opinion, buy both and test them both at the track same driver, same day, same track.

feels fast vs fast lol. I drove an 03 z06 with intake and exhaust work and for some reason didn't feel all that fast, but it is! My friends stock sti wrx felt faster than the z06. no joke... my bros wife said my stock 04 gt felt faster than his 04 cobra through first and second gear lol. but it would stomp me no doubt

93 teal terror said:
The reason it doesnt feel fast is b/c there is no noise in the car. When your doing 85 it feels like 40 maybe. Unlike the rattle boxes before that feel like your taking off in a spaceship with all the rattles and vibrations.

That is THE stupidest crap i ever heard....Go drive it before you make some stupid *** comments!

i ran mine up to 130 last night in 4th at 5500 yes it needs gears. and my 98 cobra did pull harder but this chassis is alot stiffer so until i run a number my self its to hard to say

Now that I think of it, my '89 does feel like a bad bus ride when I get on it. But I think I like that feeling along with the roar of an unrestricted exhaust. It feels like the whole car is going fall apart. AWESOME! It's time for some of these current '05 owners to post some hard times and race results!

mach271 said:
That is THE stupidest crap i ever heard....Go drive it before you make some stupid *** comments!
Try riding in the car.....driving it is biased.....if you think im wrong let someone else drive your car and see how fast it "feels". If anything the car is maybe a few tenths slower and Im sorry but you can't "feel" that.

Aside from the comments about "feeling fast" vs. "actually fast"...are we taking into consideration the weight of the salesman sitting in the passenger seat? Or the fact that the car isn't broken in yet?