The Junk Pyle has moved forward, well sort of

• Sponsors (?)

Well got the engine back in the dog house, of course it was a fight, I think the issue was the dowels, there may have been some crap around the dowels or in the hole they go into, and then there was the missing bolt syndrome, yes I could not locate the last bell housing bolt! Found it hiding in the container I put them in :bang: wasn't really worried about it, I know I have extra bolts for that, go figure.
The clutch cable did come disconnected from the quadrant under the dash, oh joy, but I have to yank out the console so that trim under the steering wheel will come off making it less frustrating.
I'll comment on my first experience pulling an engine (by myself I will add) leaving the trans in the car, not bad, I'd do it again, I have helped on a couple others, one was an auto trans, now that's a piece of cake, stick, not so bad. I work by myself about 99% of the time, partly because I'm a grumpy old man but mostly my selection of tools, it's bits and pieces from everywhere with multiple sockets and wrenches of the same size, even several 10mm quarter drive sockets, the same with screwdrivers, of course the phillips screwdrivers are mostly worn out well, except the left handed ones, I'm right handed, go figure :nonono:. My collection is embarrassing, I usually have what I need, if I can find it.
Well now that the four of you have waded through the ramblings of a deranged automotive hack, after all it IS my thread, I'll post up some pics after while.

Reactions: 2 users
I did take one with the kindle,
IMG_20240213_140035.jpg
you know, for comparison.
I think it's a distance/focus thing, I don't know.

Not sure if you noticed, but I think your bolts are leaking... get that fixed first, imo.
they stop leaking when you tighten them up, duh, didn't you know that??
20240214_155544.jpg

sit'n back in the house!
stuck the right header in the hole, wish I'd noticed the header tube was up against the block plate where the starter bolts on when I test fitted them, it would have been easy-peasy to grind off a smidge then but NOOOOOOOO, it was not so bad though.

Reactions: 5 users
Got the left header stuck in there, a couple bolts hold'n it in, I'm gonna reuse the copper looking header gaskets, I'll smear some red exhaust goop on 'em, I got a can of copper coating, use that maybe? What da ya think?
Next was the steering link, pain but it got done, I've got the PITA stuff done I think, on to some wires, I did the newer style starter a while back and posted my starter wiring upgrade 'cept I just jumped the solenoid on the starter with a short wire, the starter would continue to turn for a short second after the engine started and I think this is because of the jumper wire, I'm thinking because there is no diode and I'm getting feed back that keeps the starter energized for a short second, this is not clashing with the flywheel luckily. So all this to say I am running a wire from the solenoid on the fender to the solenoid on the starter like the factory did them, I hope it behaves, I'll post up some pics when I do the wire modification, also why didn't I paint those nasty little brackets for that wiring, time to fix that.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ve always used the red high temp for header gaskets. I was thinking running the late model starter was to completely bypass the steal me junction up top?
Most if not all, including myself wouldn't reuse a gasket and most gasket kits use paper exhaust gaskets, in the past (back when they made headers out of wood) I've had to use double gaskets, soaked in water to help them seal only to have them blow out anyway, some of the early 260 and 289 cube engines didn't even have a exhaust gasket soooooo I'm gonna try red goop on my copper gaskets (both sides), mine show no 'foot prints' and only one exhaust port show'd leak so why not? I'm a closet innovator, an automotive scientist,
That fails alot :nonono: but I think I've had a pretty good time doing it, have not been badly injured or killed any cats along the way.
I cannot recall ever trying to reuse a header gasket.

I mean... In my mind, once the thing has the feetprints in it... It's done.
Well I'm on a budget, and what fun is it to just 'run to the store' and get another one, you kids and your need for instant gratification is pathetic :cautious:

Reactions: 1 user
If they don't work, try some Remflex exhaust gaskets....
I have two sets of exhaust gaskets from my Fel Pro engine kit......
You can have them if you want to pick them up at " Geezer Coffee".....
check in as we have been hit and miss on Thursday due to the cold weather...
Tomorrow, Tuesday, is Panera north side....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user