The Junk Pyle has moved forward, well sort of

• Sponsors (?)

Alrighty now (in my best Jim Cary voice)! let us look at the wiring mod I feel is necessary,
Here is the wire from the solenoid to the starter:
20240219_135107.jpg

I'm adding a wire in place of the jumper, it may or may not be the issue that really is not an issue because the 'run on' is short and does not impact the flywheel, it's just a little annoying.
Here's what I have on hand:
20240219_134647.jpg

the red wire on the left is likely 10 ga (or bigger)' I used to have a wire size guide but couldn't find it. The wire on the right is 12 ga automotive wire, the center is a roll of speaker wire :cautious: , I like the idea of the 'duel' speaker wire that way when one burns out, and it WILL!! you have a backup wire already installed, so if the fire from the first wire didn't burn down the car the second can give it another chance :nonono:
the question is 12ga the right size?
That red wire on the left has a couple sketchy spots so I can get more, oh, and other 'stuff:
20240219_134854.jpg

I also have that 'special' tape in black so no more white :cautious: 'special' tape.
Oh, and this antique:
20240219_143024.jpg

Actually works quite good. An old friend gave it to me after he died, I know you're scratchen your head, "after he died"? how's that?
well he loaned it to me a few years back then died so now it's mine so remember that when one of you guy's loan me things, don't die till you get it back.
So let me know what ya'll recommend for wire size, anybody know what size the factory wire is and do I need a fuse or fuse able link on that wire? I'm patiently waiting :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Put the large 4 ha back on the starter solenoid but on the battery side and the other end goes to the large lug on the solenoid on the starter. Use the 12 ha wire and put it on the hot when cranking side of the solenoid and the other end goes to the make spade tab on the solenoid on the starter. That is all that is required.

No go on the speaker wire. The wire only needs to carry enough amperage to make the coil in the solenoid work. Most use 10 ga but I wired one with 14 ga and it’s still working in my buddies car years later.

Reactions: 1 user
update:
20240224_160025.jpg

yup, I think this will do nicely. hung it on the engine loosely where it belongs and on to the O2 harness. buggered 'low oil' warning wire and one O2 plug on the same side has buggered wires. Right at the plug, place bets on if I have replacement pins that will work?
20240225_120147.jpg

:eek:
20240225_120230.jpg

focus dammit! Ain't got that 'closeup' thing mastered yet. Anyway picture chapped, exposed wires right at the plug, causes intermittent codes or no codes when there should be. We be fix'n.

Sometimes I just need a quick slap on the back of the head! Reading through a recent post on another thread I realized that, for the most part, some parts have replacements now, instead of finding, cutting, welding old 30+ yr old plastic sensor connector, I can order, wait a few days, cut, weld a few wires together on new stuff :doh:, with good clips and sht! Man I miss not hang'n at the shop, so I'll clean up and paint the rust spots on my K member brace, already knocked off the rust and paint chips, Ospho treatment now wipe down and rattle can paint. I have pics around here someplace, I actually have two of them. You know, in case someone needs one :rolleyes:.

Reactions: 1 users
Looks real nice, and looks fun
That one wire round plug is your main processor ground on those older ones.
Disconnect that and it will not run.
I'd like to see you have that one soldered and sealed up real good.
Right, you can get almost every part of that harness (even) from Ford last I heard.

That single wire plug looks kinda like the computer ground but it's the wire for the low oil sender and I solder every time. I detest butt connectors.
I've gotten pretty good at soldering, Brand X had a few of those twist wire connectors :doh: WTF were they thinking?

Soldering is an art
I enjoy fixing GM clusters for my friends
Their LEDs solder gets cracked up and the LEDs fail too
I was afraid for years unsoldering ICs
Finally on one of my friends Porsche 911s
It would not pass I/M
Had to grow a pair and unsolder the IC mount from his board
Fixed it and it passed I/M
Get yourself a solder suction and play with a few processors
Might just as well find yourself a spare processor for your Mustang now, instead of waiting until you need one
Solder the new caps in yourself

Soldering is an art
I enjoy fixing GM clusters for my friends
Their LEDs solder gets cracked up and the LEDs fail too
I was afraid for years unsoldering ICs
Finally on one of my friends Porsche 911s
It would not pass I/M
Had to grow a pair and unsolder the IC mount from his board
Fixed it and it passed I/M
Get yourself a solder suction and play with a few processors
Might just as well find yourself a spare processor for your Mustang now, instead of waiting until you need one
Solder the new caps in yourself
Nope, no solder sucking stuff for me, I know my limits, I send my junk out to the ECUExchange, too many things to do that I'm mediocre at to add to that list. I already spend too much time try'n to make things look professional and usually end up just making it look 'professionally ' hidden :rolleyes: