The SN65 project car

Hi All,

Well... I almost have the rear end assembled. I should have it finished today. I just have to shim and mount the upper control arms and we are done.

What a project.

You have to be very anal when replacing the IRS control arm and center section bushings. The factory bushings bent the mounting tabs to conform to the steel bushing housings. The replacement bushings need to have these tabs flat and parallel. Achieving this is no easy task and requires a lot of fiddling about.

Our tabs were so out of alignment that we could not just bend them back into alignment. We had to take a 1/2" bolt with nut and use it as you would a small screw jack. We positioned the bolt in the bracket and unthreaded the nut until it came into contact with the area we needed to expand and then applied as much elbow grease as physically possible. Lucky for us, this expanded the bracket enough to give us the flat and parallel condition required. I do not know what we would have done if this did not work.

Anyway... Here is a photo of the IRS as it sits this morning.

attachment.php

You all have a nice day. I will just keep plugging along.

SN65
Come see this WIP at
Julian's Collision Center
http://www.julianscollisioncenter.com/

• Sponsors (?)

SN65 said:
Hi All,

Making a little more progress. Mounted more items in the engine bay and mounted the rear drivers side fender flare. For those who wish to know, we used "Duramix 4040" to bond the FRP fender flare to the steel quarter panel. 4040 is a specialty adhesive used for both structural and cosmetic repairs.

snip...

SN65
Come see this WIP at
HI ALL

FIRST TIME ON FOR ME . JUST EDITING BOBS POST 4040 WASN'T USED TO BOND THE FLARES. THAT PRODUCT IS USED FOR REPAIR OR BONDING OF SMC PLASTICS. WE USED 3M 8115 PANEL BOND ADHESIVE WHICH IS MADE FOR NON STRUCTURAL BONDING OF PANELS.

FYI I HAVE BEEN BUILDING OR REPAIRING AUTOMOBILES FOR 28 YEARS AND THIS CAR HAS BEEN A PLEASURE TO DO.

I APPRICIATE ALL THE SUPPORT & COMMENTS ON THIS BUILD.

WAYNE JULIAN
Come see this WIP at

I must say I've been following this thread from the start. I haven't commented till now. Let me say this car is ART! It is beyond words. You think in your head how you want your car to turn out and due to time, money, or whatever it doesn't quite work out the way you want it. Then you see SN65 and you say "There it is..everything I've ever wanted in a classic and more..rubbing your eyes to make sure it's real..AEWSOME..Just AWESOME!!"
Congrats on a beautiful peiece of work and good luck. Can't wait till she's done. I hope I get to see it in person some day to really appreatiate the work that went into this car. :hail2:

Grant65 said:
Yeah, where are you SN65? I'm so bored here at work I'm going to actually have to start working soon... This thread is part of my daily routine. Get to work... check email... read Stangnet... :D

Grant

haha thats great, kinda like a morning dump, gotta have those :nice:

haha just playin

(i appologise if the grosses anyone out) lol

Hi All,

Sorry I have not posted any updates lately, but I had to fly to Houston and solve a wastewater treatment problem at a Texas Instruments chip manufacturing facility....

Anyway, I am back in Chicago and itching to get back to work.

Here is what has transpired in my absence.

attachment.php

Wayne has been continuing with the bodywork. The fender flares are looking real good at this point. We have contacted LDC Chicago ad should be receiving their cooling mod early next week. We have contacted CenterForce and we should be receiving the clutch kit early next week. We have received the Magna Flow Cobra exhaust system. We have picked up some misc hardware to install the revised steering linkage and the revised oil filter casting modification. Etc...

It is good to be back.

Also, since Wayne is now posting every now and then, I guess I should start using my real name.

Well, with that said, it is time to get back to work.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

coolblue65 said:
SN65-

Are you going to be at the shop this weekend? I was thinking about streching the legs a little on the Stang and taking a ride out your way if you don't mind me visiting again.
Hi CB,

Yes I will be in the shop on Saturday. I will be there from about 7AM till about noon.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

Bob, what are you doing dealing with wastewater treatment? I work for a Mech/Elec Engineering firm, we redid a plating shop out at Tinker AFB several years ago and recently did some testing of wastewater from that to see why it was failing to meet spec to be returned to the environment.

1320stang said:
Bob, what are you doing dealing with wastewater treatment? I work for a Mech/Elec Engineering firm, we redid a plating shop out at Tinker AFB several years ago and recently did some testing of wastewater from that to see why it was failing to meet spec to be returned to the environment.
Hi 1320,

Small world ain's it. :)

Not only do I build cars, but I am also an artist (see attachments), Musician, Cabinet builder (I design and build my own furniture), Architect (I designed my own house), am part owner in my brothers body shop, part owner of a design / engineering company, I am a good friend, kind to animals (especially mustangs) and I also wash the dishes after diner every night. :)

Oh yeah, I am also founder, pres, CEO and chief bottle washer of Hydro-Flo Technologies (follow the link below).

http://hydroflotech.com

At Hydro-Flo, we manufacture industrial wastewater treatment equipment. We have supplied Ford, GM, Nissan, etc... with packaged systems for the removal of oil, grease, heavy metals, etc... We manufacture clarifiers, sand filters, reaction tanks, sludge thickeners, oil/water separators, just to name a few.

If you need help with your wastewater problem, just drop me an e-mail and I will put you in touch with our chemist.

Bob

Attachments

• Doug herbert website image.jpg
    Doug herbert website image.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 175
  • priorwebsiteimage.jpg
    priorwebsiteimage.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 768
Matter of fact, it was a heavy metal problem. I never heard what came of it, I just went out and collected the samples and took them to the testing company.

***EDIT***

I just went out and checked our library and we don't have a catalog for you, can you send me one to add to our library? I'll PM and email you the address to send it to.

Hi All,

Wayne is still plugging along on the fender flare / rocker panel areas. He has trimmed the inner lip of the flare so that it is consistent all the way around (compare photo one to photo two). We will have to trim for clearance the very top of the flare once we install the wheels and suspension. We don't want the wheel to bottom out and hit the inside lip of the flare now do we. I am betting that we end up tapering the inside lip down to about 1/4" at the points closest to the wheel.

Also, we are going to keep the lines around the flare crisp, similar to the 03 flares. When finished the only difference between these flares and the 03 will be that the outside "flat" area will only be about 1" where it is about 2" on the 03.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wayne has gone through great pains in order to maintain all the factory date stampings and spot welds on the bottom of the rockers. Details like this (even tough you will only see them from below) will help set this car apart from the crowd.

attachment.php

I am pretty much at a standstill until I receive the clutch and cooling modifications. Once I receive those, I will be able to install the drivetrain and get this sucker on its wheels for the first time (at least with the drivetrain totally installed). That is going to be a really exciting day for me. There are some issues that need to be resolved and we will only be able to address them once the drivetrain is installed with the car sitting on the suspension.

Well, with that said, it is time to get back to work.

Bob
Come see this WIP at