The SN65 project car

• Sponsors (?)

reenmachine said:
On the contrary. He's stated that it'll be shown heavily for a year and then driven heavily, including stuff like the Hot Rod Power Tour.

This ain't no trailer queen!
Hi Reen,

If we didn't have to meet an ever growing list of show commitments over the next year, we would be driving it as soon as the paint was dry. :)

The only thing that will keep OUR butts out the drivers seat would be selling it. And for us to sell it would require a very pretty penny indeed. Actually, I would trade the car straight up for two pennies. One pristine 1943-D copper and one 1944-S Steel (both MS-69 certified).

Bob
Come see this WIP at
Julian's Collision Center
http://www.julianscollisioncenter.com/

Hi All,

We continue to patently await the clutch and cooling mod. In the meantime we continue with the trial fit of the components we can.

We have installed the new oil filter / lower coolant casting to the block (new gasket and bolts). I am going to have to do a little research into the lower connections on the casting. the one facing down is plugged, but the one facing forward is currently open. I have no idea what these connections are normally used for. Anyone out there have a clue???

attachment.php

We are going to have to make a few adjustments to the two lines that come off the front rack and connect to the hydraulic system. Remember that we moved the rack forward 7" so these lines will have to be modified accordingly.

Also, the sway bar is now 7" forward and it appears that we will have a minor interference issue with one of the radiator coolant tank support brackets. We will just have to remove this item and bend accordingly. We are going to wait on this one until the front end is installed and we can run the sway bar through it's full range of motion.

We have the revised steering linkage installed and ready to go. I think this is going to work just great.

attachment.php

On another note, one of the body men glued a rear emblem on the tail light panel as a reminder to Corvette owners worldwide that this is the only part of the car they are ever going to see. :)

attachment.php

Catch ya'll l8r, it is time to get back to work.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

68rustang said:
I know you are going for a "stock" look but are you keeping the original manifolds or going to headers? I don't like rusty cast exhaust manifolds.
Hi RS,

Yes we are going to use the stock manifolds. We are going to burnish / age them so that the "rust" will be a nice even tone (not splochy, etc...).

Two items drove this decision. First, I did not want to use headers for a number of different reasons. Second, you will be hard pressed to see the exhaust manifolds (from either above or below) when the car is assembled.

Catch you l8r.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

SN65 said:
We have installed the new oil filter / lower coolant casting to the block (new gasket and bolts). I am going to have to do a little research into the lower connections on the casting. the one facing down is plugged, but the one facing forward is currently open. I have no idea what these connections are normally used for. Anyone out there have a clue???
It's for the oil pressure sending unit.

oil_adapter.JPG

Hi SN65,
I read above about your keeping the manifolds and not liking headers. I was curious as to your reasons for not liking headers besides them not always fitting the combinations they're supposed to. To me it seems that if you are going to be showing this car at all, people are going to love the body modifications but as soon as you pop the hood and people start nosing around in there and they see those manifolds on there I think they'll be taken aback and start asking you why you kept them. Just my $.02. Either way the car is still amazing though. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing the completed project. :hail2:

rdmjr83 said:
Hi SN65,
I read above about your keeping the manifolds and not liking headers. I was curious as to your reasons for not liking headers besides them not always fitting the combinations they're supposed to. To me it seems that if you are going to be showing this car at all, people are going to love the body modifications but as soon as you pop the hood and people start nosing around in there and they see those manifolds on there I think they'll be taken aback and start asking you why you kept them. Just my $.02. Either way the car is still amazing though. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing the completed project. :hail2:
Hi R,

Actually, I do like headers, just not for this application.

The things I do not like about headers are heat, noise, clearance and fit.

The things I like about headers are looks and improved performance. If I understand the 03 Cobra motor, long tube headers will net about a 20HP gain or about 5%. Other header configurations will net us less than that.

Long tube headers are pretty much out of the question. The ride height on this car is pretty low right now. I am concerned with ground clearance of the suspension and structure. I am pretty confident that long tube headers will constantly drag and turn the underside of the car into a giant 4th of July sparkler show.

Mid length and shorter headers (due to the nature of cramming 10 lbs of crap into a 1 lb box) are going to present clearance issues on the drivers side with the revised steering linkage.

So... It just does not make much sense to me. I would be very disappointed if we went through all the trouble of installing mid or short length headers, achieved maybe a 2% increase but ended up with a hot, noisy header that smacked against the steering linkage every time I jumped on it, and believe me, this car will be jumped on a lot (NOTE: OK, it is really Wayne I am worried about. I may be a little bit aggressive behind the wheel, but Wayne has always felt the need to push cars to the limit).

A lot of people have pushed the header issue from the start. Trust me. If I could resolve the clearance issues, I would be installing headers.

Catch you l8r.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

Hi All,

Well... We have the front assembly just about as far as we can take it at this point. All we have left to do is paint the sway bar and the lower control arms and we are done.

attachment.php

attachment.php

We should have the clutch and the cooling mod in house by Monday. At that time we will assemble the engine and trans. Then the rear-end and the entire front suspension, engine, trans, etc... assembly goes in and we can roll this beast around the shop on it's own wheels for a change.

The tension mounts. Will the components arrive on time? Will Wayne be able to finish the chassis detailing before Bob is ready for assembly?. Will they meet this incredibly tight deadline or crash and burn along with all their aspirations? Tune in next time to the REAL American HR and see true personnel conflicts as Bob fires everyone in sight and Wayne turns around and hires them all right back.

Catch ya'll l8r, it is just about time for me to fire someone.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

TT670 said:
That show has totally ruined my opinion of Boyd. Whod have thought that the street rod king was a really an a-hole dork?

I had heard he was even before the shows aired, didnt' want to think he was a-hole even though he's a car guy, but not all car guys are as perfect as us.

hehe

SN65
The car is coming along very sweety, how about if we trade? My 04 GT since it's newer for your 03 Cobra? Just an idea or we could trade for my 66coupe??