The SN65 project car

• Sponsors (?)

windows

hey SN65,

first off, this car is hella nice. i would kill to have the time and expense to do that myself. but ive got a question about the windows. how much trouble was it to install the glass and quater windows? ive got to get started on that and id like some pointers goin into it before i get in over my head. thanks and good luck. i cant wait to see the finished product.

brian

SN65 said:
Hi All,

I am in desperate need of 65 fastback front and rear NOS window moldings.

Anyone have a clue??? I am getting desperate.

If I did not say it already, I am a bit desperate. :)

Bob
Do you have the used ones? Is there a reason you need NOS?

There's a place out here that can make the worst old stainless trim pieces look way better than new. I just had them do all of the trim for the convertible and it's absolutely amazing looking. Worthy of a 6-figure car. They'll take out dents, etc.

If you're interested, email me and I'll give you the contact info.

dachillman65 said:
hey SN65,

first off, this car is hella nice. i would kill to have the time and expense to do that myself. but ive got a question about the windows. how much trouble was it to install the glass and quater windows? ive got to get started on that and id like some pointers goin into it before i get in over my head. thanks and good luck. i cant wait to see the finished product.

brian
Hi Brian,

In my opinion, installing the glass and windows is not really a problem. Installing the window trim is the real issue. I think that a lot of your issues will be solved if you pick up a separate trim clip kit and toss any clips that come with the repro front and rear window moldings.

reenmachine said:
Do you have the used ones? Is there a reason you need NOS?

There's a place out here that can make the worst old stainless trim pieces look way better than new. I just had them do all of the trim for the convertible and it's absolutely amazing looking. Worthy of a 6-figure car. They'll take out dents, etc.

If you're interested, email me and I'll give you the contact info.
Hi Reen,

Sad, but true, The original moldings are no more. I am not sure, but it appeared that the original owner epoxied the moldings to the car in an attempt to solve some leaking issues. It was an interesting approch to an old problem. We did get the moldings off the car, but there was no saving them.

Thanks for the info. If it comes up again, i will let you know.

Wow! Looking at the newer pictures (I haven't been to your sight in awhile) I can't believe how straight you got the body lines. Every joint from the hood to the headlight buckets is perfect and it's hard to tell where the doors begin and end in the picture linked below. And the paint looks like it's still wet, it's so perfect! Great work!

http://sn65.com/images/SN65 Images/06-01-23 042.jpg

Hi All,

New update at the site. We have been moving along well on the interior, etc...

Also, we are only publishing select detail shots of the car, but we have taken many more shots than those published. For example while we may have only published photo 06-01-28 (4) we have taken photos up to 06-01-28 (15). If you have been paying attention this the way we have been numbering and storing the photos all along. ;-)

Bob

If being a dick, like that Bob Johnson guy on Pro-Touring board is what takes you to be "in the circle", I'd think you're better off being outside. It sounds like he's marching to the beat of someone else's drum and not making his own beat like you are Bob.

1320stang said:
If being a dick, like that Bob Johnson guy on Pro-Touring board is what takes you to be "in the circle", I'd think you're better off being outside. It sounds like he's marching to the beat of someone else's drum and not making his own beat like you are Bob.
Hi 1320,

Don't be so hard on Bob. He aint all that bad. He has a certain vision and he pretty much sticks to it. It is not that he does not like the SN65. He just does not fully appriciate all that was involved.

Some people out there hear us describe the car and they have trouble seeing exactly what we have done until they see it in person. Others just don't think it is flashy enough.

I for one tend to live and let live.

OBTW, has anyone figured out the easter egg clue yet?

Bob

Well, I do a google search for "bob johnson" & "Cuda" I come up with one reference for him, a online magazine article with a pic and reference to SEMA show. Neat looking car, I coulda done without the lazer "HEMI" graphic on the side, but is it me or do all Pro Touring cars look like life size Muscle Machines?

On the other hand, when I do a search for SN65........

All these car show people are nutz!

Bob,

I have been following your story with great enthusiasm for months now. I must say that I am an SN-65 junkie even though this is my first time writing in. I think that all of these people telling you that your car can't win are just afraid. I have been into cars all of my life and your's is in the unbelievable art territory! I am just amazed at what you have done and what a huge following you have. It is awesome that you have let all of us be a part of it and that shows the amazing character that you possess. You know the old saying "If you build it, they will come." is true. What I see, however, is a man that is not worried about trophies, ridlers, or sema. I see a man that made the unthinkable happen and is going to have one of the baddest Fastback Mustangs on the planet. You have already said that you are going to drive the hell out of it and I congratulate you for not making this another 3,500 pound paperweight. I personally build my cars to make me happy and if others enjoy it, that is just icing on the cake. I have never had any difficulty selling one of my cars so I must be doing something right. I will continue to watch with fevered interest as SN-65 grows nearer to completion. Have you thought about any trips to the Atlanta, GA area? What about the Hot Rod Power Tour? I know that it is passing through the ATL this year and I would love to see this car in person. Any thoughts on a new project when this one is done? One last question...I cannot remember...are you going to stripe it, or let the yellow speak for itself? Congratulations on the creation that you have and thanks again for allowing all of us to be a part of it. :nice: :nice: :nice:

1320stang said:
Well, I do a google search for "bob johnson" & "Cuda" I come up with one reference for him, a online magazine article with a pic and reference to SEMA show. Neat looking car, I coulda done without the lazer "HEMI" graphic on the side, but is it me or do all Pro Touring cars look like life size Muscle Machines?

On the other hand, when I do a search for SN65........
Hi 1320,

Thanks for the chuckle. :lol:

While not all pro-touring cars suffer from the "We based our project on the 2001 Muscle Machine" design philosophy, some do, in fact, come across that way.

It is not the pro touring concept that I have an issue with. In fact, I like the idea. It is the use of overly large rims that bugs me. The only reason to use such a rim is for apperance sake. There is no practical application whatsoever. They do nothing for ride quality. And they are not a performance item.

Why not just use the wheels and rims that fit your application. Maybe I am missing the point. Maybe it is like "these are my dress wheels and these are my work wheels". Certain wheels to where to a formal event and other wheels for the track.

Hummmm.....

Well, and Bob talks about Alloway and those guys making steel fender flares instead of fiberglass. Isn't Alloway the guy selling the fiberglass bodied Speedstars? Sure, the Speedstars could be all steel, but you cut WAY down on the number you could sell based on the number of people that could afford it. Heck, if I could afford it, I'd have Marcel & Sons build me the baddest '67 Mustang Fastback ever made, but I want to be able to enjoy driving it, not worried that it might get door dinged by a jelous hater in the parking lot at work.

Bob apperently pays to have his stuff done, you and your brother are doing it yourselves, big difference.

98Fauxbra said:
Bob,

I have been following your story with great enthusiasm for months now. I must say that I am an SN-65 junkie even though this is my first time writing in. I think that all of these people telling you that your car can't win are just afraid. I have been into cars all of my life and your's is in the unbelievable art territory! I am just amazed at what you have done and what a huge following you have. It is awesome that you have let all of us be a part of it and that shows the amazing character that you possess. You know the old saying "If you build it, they will come." is true. What I see, however, is a man that is not worried about trophies, ridlers, or sema. I see a man that made the unthinkable happen and is going to have one of the baddest Fastback Mustangs on the planet. You have already said that you are going to drive the hell out of it and I congratulate you for not making this another 3,500 pound paperweight. I personally build my cars to make me happy and if others enjoy it, that is just icing on the cake. I have never had any difficulty selling one of my cars so I must be doing something right. I will continue to watch with fevered interest as SN-65 grows nearer to completion. Have you thought about any trips to the Atlanta, GA area? What about the Hot Rod Power Tour? I know that it is passing through the ATL this year and I would love to see this car in person. Any thoughts on a new project when this one is done? One last question...I cannot remember...are you going to stripe it, or let the yellow speak for itself? Congratulations on the creation that you have and thanks again for allowing all of us to be a part of it. :nice: :nice: :nice:
Hi 98,

Thank you for the kind words. I don't quite know what to say. I really like the SN65 and Wayne is thrilled with how it is comeing along (even though he is still the nit picking perfectionist). There may be few design eliments we would have altered a bit, but overall, I think we are pretty much on target with what we tried to achieve.

I do not know if the car will be showing anywhere in the Atlanta area, but yes, we are going to do the power tour next year.

As far as a new project goes, yes, I have a new project in mind that is going to be just as envolved. While it will be of a different nature than this project I am going to incorporate a lot of the things we have learned during the SN65 build. I am still running over the details in my head, but we are going to start on the new project sometime next year.

As far as striping goes, we are going to leave the car all yellow. While we like some of the striping designes we have come up with, we have decided to let the car stand on its own, without any graphics.

Thanks again for your interest.