Those with SPEC clutchs please come in

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Ok, I am making out plans for my tremec tko trans swap this spring/summer. I wanted to go with the SPEC stage III clutch just because it was not much more then the stage II and I fig. it would last longer with anything that I could throw at it the next several years. Im not going to have over 500 horse inthe next several years, but I fig launching the car the clutch will hold. Now someone got to talking to me and told me how the clutch is either in or its out. there is really no inbetween. SO, I want to get feedback on the stage 3 compared to the others. How does it work in a dialy driven car? Thanx

• Sponsors (?)

Mine is annoying in traffic but thats what you get when you have a performance clutch. Mine grabs REAL good just put 3 thousand miles on it and been having a blast with it. I really like mine. Remeber you have to do a thousand mile break in period so that means NO getting on it at all.

Later, Black 93 Fox

Black 93 Fox said:
Mine is annoying in traffic but thats what you get when you have a performance clutch. Mine grabs REAL good just put 3 thousand miles on it and been having a blast with it. I really like mine. Remeber you have to do a thousand mile break in period so that means NO getting on it at all.

Later, Black 93 Fox
*EDIT* I just seen you had the stage 1....maybe im going to much with the stage 3?

I know all about the breakin period. If it goes down, there will be a break in period for the new tranny and clutch at the same time. How is the pdeal feel? I mean is it in/out or how is it. I dont think I will mind it, plus I will be getting an awsome clutch that will hold what I throw at it :banana:

I have stage 3 in my Camaro and my one of my stangs, Stage 2 in my everyday driver stang. The stage 2 is a great clutch for a everyday driver, a little stiff but good. The stage 3 is to much for everyday use. Grabs to hard and tends to chew up flywheels. Just my two cents.

You will be perfectly okay with the stage II. That's what I run and I've got a low 11 second daily driven street car. I run the stage II with a tremec 3550 and I have had no problems whatsoever out of the clutch. It has no chatter when pulling off. It is a lot stiffer than any stock replacement clutch, but once you drive it for a week or so you'll be fine. I get in one of my other mustangs and just about slam the clutch pedal through the floor...... But I would definitely recommend the stage II. When I get my 331 finished I'll be adding the stage III and an aluminum flywheel, but for now the stage II is all I need.

I have a stage 3 SPEC and a Fidenza aluminum flywheel. I like both of them a lot. Its grabs pretty hard and I wouldnt want it on a daily driver, but its good for my car.
They do make 2 different stage 3 clutches they either come with a carbon or ceramic disc, designed to work with your particular application. Call Darren @ Sybersport Racing and he will set you up with the best prices on SPEC and hes a great guy to work with and answer questions.

id get the stage 2 clutch i have one and love it very much it grabs awsome, the pedle is a little stiff, i thought when i bought it was supposed to be just like stock pedle feel, but its not a little stiff but you ill get used to it, i cant imagine what the stage 3-5 pedle is like, id go with the stage 2, if mine were to break right now thats the exact same clutch id get all over again.

stangman 50 said:
the pedle is a little stiff, i thought when i bought it was supposed to be just like stock pedle feel, but its not a little stiff but you ill get used to it, i cant imagine what the stage 3-5 pedle is like,

Like I said above.........They all use the same preassure plate , so the pedal effort will be the same....... :bang: