throwing an 04 grand marquis 4.6 into 00 GT

snidehockey

Jun 18, 2007
Orlando, Fl
My rebuild plans have deteriorated after speaking to a few knowledgeable guys...

I already have the current engine out and disassembled.

If I throw in a 4.6 from a grand marquis/crown vic/ town car I'm trying to figure out what all will be swapped over from my existing engine, and if a manual trans clutch will work on the auto flywheel?

I've read alot of different topics similiar but none truly answer those questions.

• Sponsors (?)

The Grand Marquis motor will work for sure if the GT was 01-04, but there are slight differences in the motors from 99-00 and 01-04. Just get both motors next to each other and compare the block, heads, valve covers, & timing cover.

Use the Mustang:

Oil pan.
Intake manifold with throttle body and plenum.
Exhaust manifolds.
Water pump.
Engine Accessories and wiring.

Other than that, the heads, timing cover, block are the same.

cool thanks...The stang is a 2000, and I already have all of the things mentioned off of the stang and ready to go. I just wanted to be sure that other than those accessories etc. that there aren't any major issues.

The valve covers from my mustang won't be necessary right? I think the oil feed is on the opposite side on the town car/grand marquis...but who cares?

I know the plenum faces the opposite direction, which also means the egr tube runs down to the other exhaust manifold. An automatic flywheel is actually called a flexplate, and won't work with a clutch. You'll have to reuse your old flywheel, or get a new one.

You will have to buy a new flywheel. Your engine has an 8 bolt crank and the 04 has a 6 bolt crank. You can use the a/c, p/s, alt, and waterpump from your engine but you will have to use the idleer pullies and tentioner from the 04. Use your wireing harness and of course your intake. You will have to use the 04 valve covers unless you buy aftermarket romeo covers.

Have you already got the Marquis engine? If not, I would spring for an Explorer engine instead. PI heads, the intake faces the right direction and you get the benifit of an aluminum block for weight savings. :shrug:

Not all explorer engines got the AL block. The '09 explorer still has a 2V but gets an iron block. Interestingly enough, it's rated at 292HP and 300 TQ

Which leads me to my second question. Where does the HP come from in the PI engines? The Mustang is rated at 260, the Lincoln/mercury version is 239HP and the Explorer is almost 300HP? The Ford website states it's a 24V engine so i don't beleive it's a new 3V.

So where did the extra 32HP come from on the explorer? And where did 21HP go on the lincoln? Is it tune/exhaust?

Not all explorer engines got the AL block. The '09 explorer still has a 2V but gets an iron block. Interestingly enough, it's rated at 292HP and 300 TQ

Which leads me to my second question. Where does the HP come from in the PI engines? The Mustang is rated at 260, the Lincoln/mercury version is 239HP and the Explorer is almost 300HP?
Not sure where you're getting your info Mike, but I'll straiten it out for you. :)

ALL 4.6L 2V Explorers had an aluminum block and PI heads. They ran from 2002-2005 in this configuration with no exceptions.

From 2006 on when they came out with the 4th generation style change, they got the 24V 4.6L engine, which yes, has an Iron block but also has 3-valve heads....which isn't what I was reffering to. It also explains where the additional horsepower comes from as well.

The Ford website states it's a 24V engine so i don't beleive it's a new 3V.
Hey Mike....what's 3 valves per cylinder times 8-cylinders? :D

If it only had 2-valves per cylinder, it would need to be a V12 to make 24V. ;)

You might want to check Fords site again. Not only are they not yet advertising the 2009 model yet, but the specifications for the current model is as follows....

Engine type 4.6L SOHC 24V V8
Engine electronics EEC-V electronic engine controls with integrated EDIS
Displacement 4.6L (281 cu. in.)
Horsepower (SAE net@rpm) 292 @ 5,750
Torque (lb. ft. @ rpm) 300 @ 3950
Compression ratio 9.8:1
Bore x stroke (in.) 3.55 x 3.54
Main bearings 5
Valve lifters Hydraulic with roller finger followers
Fuel delivery Sequential multi port electronic fuel injection
Recommended fuel Unleaded regular
Exhaust manifold Cast iron
Fuel economy EPA est. mpg 4x2: 13 city/20 hwy
Transmission type 6-speed automatic
Engine block material Cast iron
Cylinder head material Aluminum

The optional 4.6L V8 features 3 valves per cylinder, variable cam timing and more. Matched to a 6-speed automatic, it puts out 292 horsepower @ 5750 rpm and 300 lbs./ft. of torque @ 3950 rpm.

They even went as far as to include a picture of the engine....which as you can see, is of the 3-valve later model variety.

epr08_fp_021.jpg

should I use my cams from the stang?
The explorer has the same cams as the Mustang....I'm pretty sure the Crown Vic does as well.

Not sure where you're getting your info Mike, but I'll straiten it out for you. :)

ALL 4.6L 2V Explorers had an aluminum block and PI heads. They ran from 2002-2005 in this configuration with no exceptions.

From 2006 on when they came out with the 4th generation style change, they got the 24V 4.6L engine, which yes, has an Iron block but also has 3-valve heads....which isn't what I was reffering to. It also explains where the additional horsepower comes from as well.

Hey Mike....what's 3 valves per cylinder times 8-cylinders? :D

If it only had 2-valves per cylinder, it would need to be a V12 to make 32V. ;)

You might want to check Fords site again. Not only are they not yet advertising the 2009 model yet, but the specifications for the current model is as follows....

They even went as far as to include a picture of the engine....which as you can see, is of the 3-valve later model variety.

epr08_fp_021.jpg

The explorer has the same cams as the Mustang....I'm pretty sure the Crown Vic does as well.

Lol, dammit. i feel like a dumb-ass now. I saw 24V and just assumed it was a 2V. It didn't click that 16V is a 2V!!!

well thanks for the plethora of info...sounds like I'm gonna go ahead w/ the town car/crown vic/ grand marq engine. I looked around for an explorer engine but they are alot less readily available around here, and there are a ton of wrecked crown vic's and town cars (lots of taxis in orlando).

Thank you all again for the info, I definitely wouldnt be able to do this crap w/ out your help