Tire Tech, for street and road course best for cheap

Demented4.6

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2001
DAYTON, OHIO
I am trying to find a relativley inexpensive tire. I had 245-45-17 yokahama's before and have Falken Ziex 255-40-17's in rear and 235-45-17 in front. well they lasted almost a year and now I need new ones.. I saw some Ventus tires by Hankook on pepboys web site and They have nice ratings. I care less aboiut tread wear more interested in performance. I plan on going with 255-40-17's and 245-45-17 anyone ever use these or now anyone who has. their 255-40-17 is z/w rated and 128.99 ea. Anything better??

• Sponsors (?)

Melvin_91GT said:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+ES100

These are the tires that I have on my car now. They're an incredible step up in performance from the previous (BF Goodrich Comp T/A HR4) tires that I had, and they're cheap!! My 245/45/17's ran $112/each when I bought them and now they're only up to $116. Wet and dry traction is outstanding and they've held up rather well.

How do they hook as far as straightline peformance? I have Nitto Drags now but would liek to go to same tire all around if they hook decent. I may just get some for the front and get Nittos again. But it would be nice to save some $$ and have same tires all around.

I'm running the Kuhmo 711's 255/40/17's on all 4's. They grab pretty darn good in wet & dry considering the short profile. Mine came with the rims as a set.

www.tirerack.com has this size for 76$ a piece. Plan on 712's in a 275 back & 255's front once this set wear out.

Scott

Marques, we use Toyos on the vette. Fantastic tire. Get the T1-S, the FZ4 is not the best.
Will you see much cold driving? I know you put the stang away in the winter.
Also, I have heard good things from Nitto. But no expierience.

93GTStang said:
How do they hook as far as straightline peformance? I have Nitto Drags now but would liek to go to same tire all around if they hook decent. I may just get some for the front and get Nittos again. But it would be nice to save some $$ and have same tires all around.
Well, they hook fairly well for being the performance tire that they are (oriented more towards handling than traction off the line).

Sure, they won't be as sticky as the Nitto's will but for something that I drive daily (which includes inclimate weather and very aggressive driving) I really enjoy these tires -- Especially for the price.

Melvin_91GT said:
Well, they hook fairly well for being the performance tire that they are (oriented more towards handling than traction off the line).

Sure, they won't be as sticky as the Nitto's will but for something that I drive daily (which includes inclimate weather and very aggressive driving) I really enjoy these tires -- Especially for the price.

My Nittos work pretty well but are pricy for a 16" tire at $140 each (shipped) and last about 6000-8000 miles on my car. But that is also 60+ track passes and alot of street abuse. They grab real hard on the street, barely spin in 2nd if at all. They do spin in 1st gear but not that bad really. The Yokohamas look like nice aggressive tires. I just don't want a tire that is going to not hook at all.

How about the kuho victoracers? or are they even still around? I had hoosiers on my forgelines they were shaved straight off the hoosier truck. I even ran them on the street on the rain. This was on my porsche of course. I now have the 711's on it (a friend runs a tire store and hooked me up on the kumho's) I like the 711's all right but nothing like the hoosiers. They drift good if thats what you like. I went up on size for the kumho's (I couldn't drift with the hoosiers they wouldn't let go)