To anyone who has 3.73s

Opal50

May 16, 2007
I going to install a new ring and pinion next week and I am still debating between 3.73s and 3.55s. I'm not really worried about the high rpms, but I'm wondering if the 3.73's make first gear useless. Can anyone comment on this? BTW, I believe I'm running a 245 40 18 which would give me a 25.72" diameter.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

there isnt a tremendous amount of difference between 3.73 and 3.55 gears. what gears are you taking out? what transmission are you using? transmission first gear ratios will play a significant role. an automatic typically doesnt have the steep first gear ratio a manual has....and manuals usually come in at least two different gear ratios, some having about 3:1 first gears, some 3.27, like the TKO i put in. the numerically lower your first gear ratio is the more you will benefit from numerically higher rear gear ratios and vice versa. im putting the 8.8 back in my 86 today; it was out for a 3.90 gear install and a posi rebuild. the 3.90 rear gear with 3.27 first gear will make first gear extremely snappy and wind out quickly. i dont mind that though as i wont be racing it, its just a fun street convertible

I'm running 3.73's and i hate to say it but i wish i went with 3.55's. There are times i love the 3.73's but first gear is tough to hook in (nothing past 1/2 throttle will hold) and second also spins quite willingly. I wish my highway rpm were a little lower. My next tranny will be a t-5Z with the longer 1st and 5th gears to make the rpms more manageable.

Yeah I forgot to say I have the stock 5 spd manual in a 94 gt. BTW, I should have 2.73s in there now right? I've heard things about 3.08s so I'm not sure. Also do you know the first gear ratio in a stock 94 gt?

i have had 3.73's and 3.55's. 3.7.3' were in my old convertable and 3.55's are what i have now. i think it is one of those things where you will be happy with either. you will question whether or not you should have gone with the other gear regardless of which you choose. I do that now. I do like the 3.55's on the highway, especially when racing someone. can go to third for a while when downshifting. first gear with 3.73 is very quick, but i liked that when i had that. i dont miss it now though as i am happy with the 3.55's :D
SO, what i am saying is that you will be happy with either one i think. i am 51% for 3.55's and 49% for 3.73's!
dont know if this helps or not :shrug:

Had 3.73's in my first 5.0. Small bolt ons with a stock t5. Great gear for that car.

My old 04 gt with a 5 speed had 4.30's and it loved them. If you get tired of shifting too much in traffic, just take off in second!

I am having 3.73's put in my 95 cobra as we speak. I think that with the extra weight of the 94 95's the 3.73 will be the better gear. The first gear in the stock T5 is 3.35. I'm hoping to pick my car up this afternoon. If I do I'll reply about what I think about them tommorow.

really the debate is between 3.73's and 4.10's, NOT 3.73s, and NOT between 3.73's and 3.55's, UNLESS you do ALL highway drivetrain, or run a power adder.

other than that, I run 3.73's with a t5 with a 3.30 first gear, and have plenty of first gear. First gear pulls like nothing else. My buddy ran 4.10's and a 3.30 first gear, and had no issues either.

Anyone having traction issues has a few things to look at.

1. dial in your suspension. Are you running rear lower and upper aftermarket control arms??

2. how is your weight transfer? Make sure the rear end is VERY stiff, and that will go a long way, even if you don't soften up the front end.

given that, I've got a gt40p motor, and all those mods, and first gear still spins intself to redline. However, i've found that a lot of practice launches helps tremendously.

Not only that, just run a street drag radial full time. that's what I plan on doing. My buddy is putting down over 300 to the wheels, with 4.10 gears, and runs a drag radial on the street, and can't even chirp the tires!

I got my car back yesterday after my gear swap. That was the best money I've spent so far!!!!!! First gear is in no way to short after putting the 3.73's in. Make sure you buy Ford racing gears. This is the first set of aftermarket gears I've bought and it's the last set. These gears make a slightly audible whine and I've never had that issue with the ford gears not to mention it cost me more to get them set up. The owner of the shop I used said that most time ford gears can be set up using the factory shims but the aftermarket gears are ussually no where close which makes them take longer to install.

if your gears have a slight whine, its because they werent set up 100% correct, not because they werent ford motorsport gears. they all set up the same. just because you took out an oem set and put an FRPP set in doesnt necessarily make it a drop in, they all have to have the shims checked. there are several companies that make ring and pinion gears. i went with motive gear, as they are the only company making the 3.90 8.8 gear that i wanted. no issues with them. who made the gearset you bought?

i thought 3.90 would make the shifting go quite fast but it really didnt. i couldve gone with 4.10's. it sure does pull hard though!

The guy that set my gears up spent a day and a half on them. He said no matter what he did he sould not get them as good as he liked. The gears I got I traded for and they was new in the box but weren't a common name brand. My point about the ford gears is that most of the time (not all) they can be set up using the factory shims which makes the install go much faster.

You better find out what gear you have now. If you have 3.08s and goto 3.55 you are going to waste your money. You won't even notice the change. I went from 3.27s to 3.73s and it was a big waste of time and money. My current car has 3.73s and a 4cly T5 when I bought it. That was a little step in first gear. (3.95 x 3.73 = 14.73 o.a.r.) I swaped in a t5z (11.00 o.a.r.) and now I want to swap rear gears.

So another way of putting it is 3.73s all the way!