to anyone who has a sub or knows about them...

bascosauce

May 11, 2007
well last night i bought a JLw612v2 in a custom ported encloser with a JL monoblock 500/1watt amp for 325. all no more than a month and a half old (dude showed me reciepts). well i put it in today without any speed bumps so to speak, but when i cranked it up, WOW! its so ****ing loud! the best part of it is, this morning i sold my old system for 150. so i basically only hadta shell out 175 for my new setup.

anyways, my question is, wat is an effective way to turn the bass level down. should i play around with the amp? i tried through the headunit but no luck at all. Is it because the hatch is so small, and the sub is a 12" that theres no way to get around it being loud. i mean it just hits so hard that even after 30 minutes of getting out of the car, my right ear is almost deaf lol. i want a system i can bump loud without making my ears bleed.

i really hope someone can point me in the right direction, i havent the slightest when it comes to audio! thanks again

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same amp in my car. Just turn the gain (JL calls it something else) down. Does your head unit have a seperate RCA output for a sub amp and seperate (than bass) subwoofer control? If so you can keep the gain a little higher and use the head unit to control the volume. The JL does not have a remote gain, just a remote filter. It's kinda silly.

-kyle

well thanks for the post but i guess i didnt mention it, i dont really know to much about car audio stuff. installing a sub and amp is simple, but the technology behind it is a mystery to me. i appreciate everything you told me, but understang nothing

Well I got some time to play around with the amp. I basically turned everything down all the way, now its a lot smoother and def more mellowed out. (When I first put it in my volume 14 hit as hard as 38 with the new adjustments lol).

Few more questions if I may. I feel like the rattles won't ever stop. Where do I dynamat? It literally shakes the whole car so I have a feeling its gonna be expensive. Also with the JL and my old sub, there's a super loud deep rattle coming from behind the back bumper. Now I can't figure out what it could be, any suggestions?

Last but not least, how much harm if any (doubt any) am I putting my car through when I have it on blast shaking my car to death?

I have never had any serious problems caused by bass. Other than creating rattles. I have never had more than 2 12's either though.

As for the dynamat, start with the doors. Although, I am sure that there are some more informed installers on this board to give advice.

As far as the rattle in the rear, it is most likely the license plate. They always make noise...

Something else to consider is that you want to keep as much power going to the sub as you can to minimize distortion. May need to look into a new head unit someday with a seperate subwoofer level. That way you can keep the power up on the amp and turn the sub volume down when it's too much....

-kyle

I have never had any serious problems caused by bass. Other than creating rattles. I have never had more than 2 12's either though.

As for the dynamat, start with the doors. Although, I am sure that there are some more informed installers on this board to give advice.

As far as the rattle in the rear, it is most likely the license plate. They always make noise...

Something else to consider is that you want to keep as much power going to the sub as you can to minimize distortion. May need to look into a new head unit someday with a seperate subwoofer level. That way you can keep the power up on the amp and turn the sub volume down when it's too much....

-kyle

yea i've seen some dynamat pics on here of people doing the entire car but since its my daily driver, i cant afford to yank out all the interior to dynamat it.

the rattle in the rear is NOT the license plate, i know it for a fact (i took it off cuz thats wat i thought it was, its something right behind the middle of the back bumper)

i do have an aftermarket headunit, its a pioneer, dunno wat model but isnt even 6 months old. so i have all these settings to mess with the sub i just dont know wat they mean lol.

as far as sound quality tho, little by little after messing with it, its getting to where i want it to be.

TO ANYONE INTRESTED IN A SUB: def go with JL. yea i know they are pricey but if you can find a used one that hasnt been abused and has recently been bought, its so worth it. like i said i bought everything, the box, the amp,and the sub for 325, u just gotta look around and be patient. i was looking for a month before i found a deal. dont even waste ur money on the other stuff, i've gone through 3 subs not including this one, and i think i hold onto this for awhile.
do it right the first time, get a w6. (btw: not saying if its not JL it blows, its just my personal opinion!)

the correct way to " tune " an amp is to put your stereo up at around 3/4 all the way up. then use the gain on the amp to turn the sub volume up till it distorts, then a hair down. after that then just use the sub level on the headunit if you have it to change the freq of the sub. bass boost on the amp should be no more then a 1/4 the way up at max as it will distort the sub any higher an imo make it sound like crap. i do these steps an just change the freq for the sub on the headunit for whatever type of music i listen to. i listen to rock, rap, techno/ dance music an this works perfect as it only takes a minute or two to change. normal freq responses on the headunit for the sub are 50 (for rap/real low bass), 63(for most alternative/rap), 80 (usually the best for all around rock/techno/alternative), 100 (for techno or fast bass hitting like metal), 125 (some rock/techno..jmo but hope it helps.

I have 2 10W6s and it rocks without a doubt. Ive got a newer alpine deck, im not sure the model number and It has a seperate set of pre-outs for the subwoofer so i can turn it up and down at the deck so if i really want to crank it i can turn the subs up and the bass down so the rest of my speakers dont distort.

I have the same amp in my car. Just turn the gain (JL calls it something else) down. Does your head unit have a seperate RCA output for a sub amp and seperate (than bass) subwoofer control? If so you can keep the gain a little higher and use the head unit to control the volume. The JL does not have a remote gain, just a remote filter. It's kinda silly.

-kyle

The gain is not a volume control for amps, but rather a way to set the amp output equal to the receiver output. To adjust correctly, turn the stereo volume 3/4 up...yes it will most likely be loud and neighbors might complain, but oh well. Then starting with the gain all the way down, slowly turn it up until you hear the sub start to distort and back it down slightly. Now its set. It may also have a +DB control, if so, adjust it to your liking, but you may have to readjust the gain if it begins to distort. I guess someone mentioned there is not a remote bass control (a switch that plugs into the amp and runs up to driver area) option on the amp so thats out of the question. Another important part is having a receiver with independent output control. This means you can turn the subwoofer bass up and down separately from the other speakers. Turn down the bass as far as it will go on the speakers and set it to your liking on the sub. This will most likely be how you control it as well without the remote option. I'm no "expert" by any means, but i know enough. PM me if you have any questions.

The gain is not a volume control for amps, but rather a way to set the amp output equal to the receiver output. To adjust correctly, turn the stereo volume 3/4 up...yes it will most likely be loud and neighbors might complain, but oh well. Then starting with the gain all the way down, slowly turn it up until you hear the sub start to distort and back it down slightly. Now its set. It may also have a +DB control, if so, adjust it to your liking, but you may have to readjust the gain if it begins to distort. I guess someone mentioned there is not a remote bass control (a switch that plugs into the amp and runs up to driver area) option on the amp so thats out of the question. Another important part is having a receiver with independent output control. This means you can turn the subwoofer bass up and down separately from the other speakers. Turn down the bass as far as it will go on the speakers and set it to your liking on the sub. This will most likely be how you control it as well without the remote option. I'm no "expert" by any means, but i know enough. PM me if you have any questions.

:stupid:

what he said!