torque conbverter and 1/4 mile

Jun 15, 2005
Just curious what you guys think a torque converter would do for my car?

I have the mods in my sig..

Basically i went 14.1 at 102 mph with a 2.25 60 foot.

I was thinking that with a 3500 stall and sticky tires I would be able to go 1.7-1.8 60 foot time.

Wonder if I could get low 13s with some tires and a stall.

• Sponsors (?)

You're not going to get to low 13's thats just my opinion. the TC itself may help - but wont get you 13.5's either. with a 3200 stall and stage II trans i still only hit 1.92-2.0 on street tires - but im no expert either. So i'd say 2 tenths or so JUST for a good 3500 stall TC. That puts you at 13.9 all things unchanged. Think you have more in it tho, cuz i hit 13.97 with a 100.5 mph.

Low 13s arent going to happen, mid-high 13s at best. Tires are going to be a big role in this. All I can say there are better things to spend your money on than on a TC, such as PI Cams or a good start on a Blower.

In my 15 years of playing at the strip a good converter is good for five tenths on the big end and your 60ft would drop to high 1.9's to low 2.0's.

If you want a stop light monster that can run with the best of GM's pushrods out of the hole, get a KB.

A good TC and a set of slicks or drag radials with a good auto tune will lower your time considerably, 13.3 - 13.4 would be about right from where you are at now. I would recommend nothing less than a 3500 RPM stall TC. With these auto cars, a good TC is required to run well in the 1/4 regardless of what mods you have.

Your stock cams are hurting you on the big end of the 1/4. I would also consider PI cams. If you are going to look at doing the PI cams, I would do the TC first. If you are looking at cams other than the PI, I would do those cams first over the TC.

On a blower car, I would not run the stock TC for very long with it. Depending on the blower, it stalls to low or will break trying to hold lockup on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift. With a SC car, you need a good TC that is stalled correctly to the blower...

I would buy a TC from DirtyDogPerformance or CircleDSpecialties. My PI Triple Disc was restalled and relined by CircleD. At the time that was the best TC available is what I have( PI Triple Disc with upgraded clutch lining ). There are some good single disc's out there, contact the 2 I recommended for them.

Ive been wanting to do pi cams for a while.

So your saying my stock TC is gonna break with a blower?

I think I would get a 3200-3500 stall.

No it won't. Mine has held up fine and Im making 430+rwhp on a Mustangdyno which is 460-480rwhp on a Dynojet. My transmission and stall are 100% bone stock and I have not had any problems with my tranny up untill this year. I also DD my car and race it 1-2 a month. The problems Im having now are also minimal and I could drive and race the car I think for atleast another year.

My car has ran 11.64 w/ a 1.85 60' letting out at the 1000' mark and coasting the rest of the way. That should give you an idea of what the stock stall and tranny is capeable of.

Depends on the type of SC you get...

A Positive Displaced( PD ) SC like a Kenne Belle, you will destroy that stock TC quick. A Centrifugal( CF ) SC may not. 3200 RPM stall would be good for a PD SC, you would around 4000 RPM stall for a CF SC.

No it won't. Mine has held up fine and Im making 430+rwhp on a Mustangdyno which is 460-480rwhp on a Dynojet. My transmission and stall are 100% bone stock and I have not had any problems with my tranny up untill this year. I also DD my car and race it 1-2 a month. The problems Im having now are also minimal and I could drive and race the car I think for atleast another year.

My car has ran 11.64 w/ a 1.85 60' letting out at the 1000' mark and coasting the rest of the way. That should give you an idea of what the stock stall and tranny is capeable of.

Actually it doesn't. If your car is an 04 like you say in your sig, you have a better TC stock than he does and you have a 4R75W to his 4R70W...

Depends on the type of SC you get...

A Positive Displaced( PD ) SC like a Kenne Belle, you will destroy that stock TC quick. A Centrifugal( CF ) SC may not. 3200 RPM stall would be good for a PD SC, you would around 4000 RPM stall for a CF SC.

What? Have you even been in a KB car or a any supercharged car for that matter? That is way to big of stall for either blower. Unless your talking a full out drag car with slicks and built rearend you would never hook with those big stalls. Rule of thumb has always been 2700-3200 for a centri car, depending on boost/power level, and Im actually not sure what it is for a KB car. I know 3200 would be alot of stall for a car making full power right off the line.

Actually it doesn't. If your car is an 04 like you say in your sig, you have a better TC stock than he does and you have a 4R75W to his 4R70W...

I have a 4R70W, I've heard rumors of this but I haven't met one person with an 04 that has a 4R75W.

Yes, I have been in a SC'd car. A stock GT's TC stall is 2400 - 2700 RPM. 3000 - 3200 RPM is perfect for a street driven PD SC'd car. CF SC's do not make the same power at low RPM that the PD SC's do. They will benefit from a higher stall TC. A close friend of mine has a S-Trim 2V Mustang auto that has a 3800 RPM PI Triple Disc TC, that car is a daily driver in the summer. He is actually looking for more stall out of his TC.

With all the mods to your car, all you can get is an 11.64?

Chris's GT with a 8 PSI aftercooled S-Trim Auto with a 4.10 gear and 3800 RPM Stall TC and a lot less mods than you is running 11.70 @ 115. I guess it is a good thing he doesn't take advice from you...

I am thinking of putting a S-Trim on 5.0L Big-Bore N/A 2V TBird that has a 4200 RPM Stall TC. I won't be changing the TC out of it if I do...

Yes, I have been in a SC'd car. A stock GT's TC stall is 2400 - 2700 RPM. 3000 - 3200 RPM is perfect for a street driven PD SC'd car. CF SC's do not make the same power at low RPM that the PD SC's do. They will benefit from a higher stall TC. A close friend of mine has a S-Trim 2V Mustang auto that has a 3800 RPM PI Triple Disc TC, that car is a daily driver in the summer. He is actually looking for more stall out of his TC.

With all the mods to your car, all you can get is an 11.64?

Chris's GT with a 8 PSI aftercooled S-Trim Auto with a 4.10 gear and 3800 RPM Stall TC and a lot less mods than you is running 11.70 @ 115. I guess it is a good thing he doesn't take advice from you...

I am thinking of putting a S-Trim on 5.0L Big-Bore N/A 2V TBird that has a 4200 RPM Stall TC. I won't be changing the TC out of it if I do...

Where the hell are you getting your info from? A stock stall is around 1700. Also I think I know where a centri makes power being the fact I have one.

Also don’t talk s**t about my advice and the times my car ran when you leaving out the fact that I let off at or before the 1000’ mark. Do you know how much the hurts your times? Do you know I have one of the fastest stock auto GTs on the boards? Trying to compare a stalled auto car to mine when I didn’t even get a full run in is stupid.

What does this guy 60’? ............................................ I’ve 60’ a best of 1.85
Does he run DRs or slicks? ……………................... I run DRs
Does he have a built tranny? ………………………..I don’t
What’s his weight with driver? ……………………. Im around 3600
Any suspension mods? …………………………..… I’ve got noting
Where did he run the time and what was the tem? ….I ran at 400’ above on an 80* day.

The guy could be diving a lightened car with slicks and ran that time on a 40* day at Englishtown where the tack is 1000’ below sea level. I’m not saying he did but I don’t know. You’re throwing out a time and comparing it to mine and talking s**t and telling nothing about the car.

Saying I have a lot more mods than him, I really don’t have that much as for making power. I have Supercharger, Pulley, Intercooler, Cams, Exhaust, and Gears. So the only thing he might not have that I have is exhaust and cams. :shrug:

Would you care to enlighten me on any of this?