towing with a v6

Winters98GT

Whoop...whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop...GANGNAM STYLE!!!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
Has anybody ever towed a trailer with a v6? Im thinking about doing it after I get my NA build done, because I want to launch on slicks. The track is more than an hour from me and I would feel better having a back up on transportation in the event something happens.

My van is a 2000, 3/4 quarter ton, ford ecoline van. Its rated to tow 4700 pounds. Do you think it will work? And if so, is there anything I should do to the tranny to beef it up? thanks

Mark

• Sponsors (?)

If you are going to tow with it see if it has an external trans cooler. If it doesn't put the biggest one on it you can find and make sure your cooling system is up to par. Or put a bigger aluminum radiator in it. I would also get a transmission temp gauge to moniter the fluid temp. I think its ok a little above 200 degrees maybe 210 or 220 but you don't want it any higher than that. You can also put a good synthetic fluid in it and a deep sump trans pan on it. They will help it run cooler too. If you do these things you shouldn't have any problems with it.

So your van is a V6? When I first read the title I thought maybe you were going to two with a V6 Stang!!

Do you know how much your car and trailer would weigh in at? I'd bet it would be pretty close to that van's limits....so I'd agree with the tranny cooler. Another thing to watch for is brakes. Many times, a vehicles towing limits is determined as much by its ability to stop the load as it is to start it. I'd go with a trailer with brakes on it for sure.

I tow my boat with our V6 Explorer all the time no problems, but it only weighs about 2500 lbs.

3200-3400 pounds for the car. Not sure on the trailer weight. I dont have one yet. Im pretty sure it wouldnt be too much over 4000, if at all.

Check to see if there's a tow package on it, and you'll have to look around for a light enough trailer to pull it, most trailers people/company's rent are the 10,000lb heavy duty steel car trailers that weigh 2000+

You should look for an all aluminum car trailer, so 3500lbs (Just guessing here for your car) for the mustang so that leaves you with a safe maximum of 1100lbs for trailer

But yeah, I've towed 4000lbs with my Tribute, the max towing cap is 3500 and it wasn't a problem :D It is still illegal to pull more than your GVWR/max towing cap though :notnice:

Just make sure there's a trans cooler on there