TriStar Performance 408 Crate Engine?

• Sponsors (?)

That link on the top says 408 but the description below states its a 347. I'm sure if you're thinking of a 408 you want a 351 based block.

Just to let you know, I had a long block 347 Stroker built to my specs (custom cam, my head choice, my piston choice, my compression choice, etc.) for a few hundred more bucks than that. That 408 doesn't have the best parts in my opinion. I doubt it will make the power you expect. I bet the supercharger addition makes more power than that 408. Have you looked around for engine quotes? Woody at Fordstrokers seems to be the guy. There's Probe, D.S.S., etc. Send some emails out.

Any 408 for that price is going to be full of Chinese junk parts. If you want a 408 spend the little extra the first time to have it built right. Don't waste your money on a cheap crate engine. You get what you pay for.

Kurt

I was thinking the same thing about it but figured Id see what some other opinions on it were. I wasnt even planning on going with a crate motor until I saw this, I was leaning more towards a Vortech. Which ever I do is going to happen in the spring because Im saving my cash through the winter, I figure the low end of my budget come spring will be 5k and the high end 8k, so I have some time to sit and plan it out.

Chris has a point. I'd much rather have a used 408 that was built correctly then a new one made of junk parts. If Chris' doesn't appeal to you, then there are all kinds of good deals on used parts on the stangnet classifieds. A tough economy is great for finding good deals on car parts.

Kurt