Umm.. is this too good to be true???

poneypower89

Now everyone in the world will know I wanna bang t
Dec 6, 2004
Indianapolis, Indiana
Ok guys, im sure ive said it alot of times.. but Im currently building a 331 MEXICAN stroker engine... This means that I need to convert it over to a roller cam block since it was originally not. The only two options I ever heard was to order the comp cams retro roller lifter kit : $450+ or modify the lifter valley in the engine with holes and blah blah blah (dont care cuz I do not want to modify the block)..

So, for a while I though i was gonna have to pay some real money just to put in a roller cam.. untill I ran into this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FORD-RETRO-...ryZ20924QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

WAY cheaper than comp... but the thing is... anyone EVER heard of these guys? And it doesnt say wether or not it would require block modification. Anyone know? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

look for yourself.. its the exact same thing you have in your stock block.. lifters and the spiders with the retainers.. you still have to drill and tap for the bolts in the lifter valley.. your still "modifying" your block in ponypower terms :)

TheChevyEater said:
look for yourself.. its the exact same thing you have in your stock block.. lifters and the spiders with the retainers.. you still have to drill and tap for the bolts in the lifter valley.. your still "modifying" your block in ponypower terms :)

lol, *ponypower* terms.. Im glad you can speak my language :nice:

alright, cool. I had a feeling it still required the *modification* :rolleyes: But thats for assurance.

too go to be true.. boo

feifong said:
its not hard to drill 2 small holes that isnt a good deal u can get the spyder for 45 .. and complete new ford lifters for 100 bucks

Its not the "difficulty" level... its that Ive been told if you use the stock lifters, spyder, and drill method you have to limit ur cam selection to small circle based cams... I dont want to do that.

5.0Droptop said:
No, Go with the link bar set up. I guess.

lol, yea... Looks like i gotta spend the money... oh well. I knew this going into the build so I shouldnt be too upset.

OH and BTW that ebay seller emailed me back saying it was the same kit as comp :rlaugh: I never actually looked really closely at the picture because I was on my laptop at the time (small screen + small picture = :shrug: )... Now im on my desktop and Yeah, definetely not the same kit. :notnice: Sorry for the brain fart and stupidity guys.

TheChevyEater said:
hell i'd go with a hydraulic flat tappet cam.. them things make the best sound :drool: and put out some huge numbers.. think old school motors

Yea, but old tappet cams require some adjustments every now and then... and with the long intake runners of EFI its just not worth my effort/time to do that (covers valve covers etc). Maybe if i was going carbed I would consider it... as of now, my blower makes all the sound i need to hear.. doubt you could hear cam lobe over it anyways. :rlaugh:

No flat tappet cam needs "adjustments every now and then" lol... You're thinking of a SOLID lifter cam... Those do have to be adjusted... Be it flat or roller. Flat tappets rev like a mother... oh.. and you give up like .5 hp from friction... Roller cams can have a higher ramp rate (which is good for low end vilosity), but that high ramp rate causes valve float. Flat tappets can't have that high of ramp rate because of the lifter design. The auto makers use rollers because they are more reliable... Not because they make more power. :nice: Good luck bud