Up In Smoke !!!!!!

Its really amazing that you saved your car !!! An engine fire is very hard to put out when it gets that hot.

Glad you're mending and getting back to it.

• Sponsors (?)

So I decided to give it a go on my own. Set the car up high on blocks and unbolted everything on the underside. All went well and I should have the engine out today.
The complete engine wiring harness needs replaced, plus injectors.
Looks like it had 42# injectors in it, I think for this engine that's a little overkill, I think I'm going to replace them with the 4 hole 24#, they should be more than enough.
Finally on the road to recovery, me and the car. :)

Reactions: 4 users
So I'm making progress is the clean up, got the engine out and started cleaning and painting. The complete wiring harness from the ecu to the engine was melted and burned especially on the drivers side. This thing has an EEC IV and someone has grafted a MAFS into the harness. what's going on with that? Anything special that I should be looking for when I go to the salvage yard looking for a harness?
I had a set of chrome valve covers so I thought I'd play around with them and come up with a different look than I had.
I'll need new injectors and I found that someone put 42# injector in and I think that's a little over kill for this engine. I'm thinking of installing a set of 4 hole 24# injectors, they should be more than enough and I've read that the 4 Hole give a much better burn.
Any little tricks to installing new injectors? They look pretty straight forward, I'll get a new o ring set, didn't seem to damage the fuel rails so I'll clean them up repaint them and use them over, they are a nice set of BBK w/ fuel regulator.
There is a sensor directly in the center of the lower intake manifold at the fire wall that I'm not sure what it is, it's all melted, I don't know if it was vacuum or electric. Can someone tell what this sensor is for and what it hooks up to.
I'll get some pictures as soon as I locate my camera, put it down somewhere in the garage and can't seem to find it ????
"DOG GONE IT WHERE IS THAT THING"
I'm going to give the engine a spin and check the valve clearances and try to see if this is a roller set up of solid lifters.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like that's the PCV valve. Tjis is a pic yanked of the internet of the back of our engines.
Thunderbird50PCVLocation.jpg

ok, so I did a little cleaning up and found my camera on a shelf with a shop rag laid over it, go figure.
so here is the progress I have made on the engine, everything is mocked up and just sitting on the engine.

Attachments

• eng1.JPG
    eng1.JPG
    792.5 KB · Views: 216
  • eng2.JPG
    eng2.JPG
    806.2 KB · Views: 193
  • eng3.JPG
    eng3.JPG
    652.2 KB · Views: 171
  • eng4.JPG
    eng4.JPG
    724.2 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: 3 users
So today was a gooooood day, went to the ford days in Carlise, Pa. today and scored an engine wiring harness for just $40, is that kool or what. not only that but my new 42# injector were in the mail box when I got home.
I should have this stang back together soon .
It was mustang heaven at the meet, from 1965 to 2017's mustangs everywhere, every color that you can think of. it was mustang overload. The swap meet / car flea market was awesome in it self, acres of used and vintage parts every where.
I'm have never seen so many fox bodies in one place it was so overwhelming.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait, I should take back that 'like'.
You where meandering around stang heaven while I was slaving away do'n yard work, sweating and stink'n and all?
No, come to think of it, that was my neighbor, I was sitting on the patio watching.
Ok, you can keep the 'like'.

Reactions: 1 user
iT WAS A TOUGHT DAY,
Walk around look at some kool cars and get something to eat,
Walk around look at some kool cars and get something to drink and rest.
Somebody has to do it !!!

Reactions: 1 users
iT WAS A TOUGHT DAY,
Somebody has to do it !!!
Now I'm dizzy,
W-a-i-t a minute, no pics?

Well, finally finished the underside of the hood and it came out alright paint matched ok. Ordered most of the remaining parts needed. Installed new 24# 4 hole injectors and fuel rails. Started swap of new engine wiring harness, still need to do the MAF wiring swap but it looks pretty straight forward. Just waiting for a rainy day and I'll drop the motor back in.

Attachments

• DSCN0080.JPG
    DSCN0080.JPG
    872.9 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN0081.JPG
    DSCN0081.JPG
    921.4 KB · Views: 143
So I'm trying to multitask here with the paint, motor and now some exhaust work.
I never had tailpipes on the car, just some temp. flex pipe to get it out from under the car, PO chopped them off behind the mufflers.
So I picked up a used exhaust system with tp and mufflers this winter. The car has 2 1/2" pipes on it with an "h" pipe (if you want to call it that) but I picked up a badly abused x pipe at Carlisle for only $10, so I grafted it in after some serious work on it.
Someone had split the H pipe and inserted a blank plate in it to block it off ??? Not only was the weld nasty looking but I guess they didn't own a grinder either.
I made a little jig to hold the pipes in place so that when I cut out the H piece everything stayed in the correct orientation, it worked out well.
The original mufflers were flow masters and they sounded pretty good but these new pipe have a big square welded muffler without any name on they.
Does anybody recognize these. I don't know what they might sound like but they are pretty open inside. We"ll see.

Attachments

• DSCN0082.JPG
    DSCN0082.JPG
    707.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN0083.JPG
    DSCN0083.JPG
    785.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN0089.JPG
    DSCN0089.JPG
    491.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN0093.JPG
    DSCN0093.JPG
    729.8 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN0105.JPG
    DSCN0105.JPG
    571.9 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN0107.JPG
    DSCN0107.JPG
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN0092.JPG
    DSCN0092.JPG
    688.7 KB · Views: 120
I bet that blocking plate helped it to sound more like a dump truck. Pretty nasty.

Good job fixing it though.

I'm clueless concerning your mufflers. (And a lot of other things as well, different thread there though)

I don't know how it would have sounded without the blocking plate, I know everyone recommends either an x or and h. I think they came with an h but seems the x make a few more ponies and torque??
From what I can see on the internet this muffler resemble the spintech mufflers, not sure be sure looks like them. Good reviews about the deep tone so we'll see.
Finished painting the hood , it didn't come out quite as nice as I would have liked, (better first time) but I didn't have quite enough paint to start all over and repaint the whole hood. I'm not a painter and trying to blend this all in is not as easy as painting the whole hood.
Going to start putting the motor in tomorrow and hopefully should be cruising Sat. night YAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! can you smell the rubber????

Reactions: 3 users
Didn't quite get to work on car all day, some parts running and such. Had a hard time finding those little molded heater hoses that go to the metal pipes along the intake manifold.
but she's in there alright, just need to do the radiator, finish up some lose end wiring and do all the stuff under the car, trans. support, speedo, drive shaft etc. Should be ready to fire up Monday ??
I've waited this long a couple extra day won't hurt and I don't move quite as fast as I used to.

Attachments

• DSCN0116.JPG
    DSCN0116.JPG
    967 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN0119.JPG
    DSCN0119.JPG
    827.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN0124.JPG
    DSCN0124.JPG
    816.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0125.JPG
    DSCN0125.JPG