Water in oil, is this normal?

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys so I rebuilt my engine basically from the heads up, new gaskets, etc. Also dropped the oil pan and cleaned it out and replaced oil pump. Now that I finally got it up and running I went to change the oil after running it a few times and the oil came out like pure water almost, it was just white and had the consistency of just water. So hoping that I was just getting all the crap out of there I put new oil in and after running it just a few more times I went to change the oil again today and it came out a lot thicker but still had a milkshake color, and the oil cap has lots of condensation on it. I am thinking I am going to change the oil one more time after a couple more runs to see if it is cleaning out but I am starting to get worried. Is this normal to happen after a rebuild? Weird thing is I have not lost any coolant, when I take off my radiator cap the water is still to the very top and even my overflow bottle is at the min line. Would a compression test be the best way to test if I have a head gasket problem? Also worried about a leaky intake gasket.

• Sponsors (?)

so not normal. even after a top end job you may have to change the oil once after a short run but that should be it. either the head gasket is suspect or the intake is leaking, very easy for the intake to leak. a compression/leak down will give you some info but you are looking at a tear down. I always put a very thin coat of gasket sealer around the coolant ports to aid in sealing, nothing thick but this is a common thing to happen. also did you use a nice thick 1/4" bead of gasket sealer on the ends of the block or the cork/rubber gasket peices ?