Well, Finally Did It, Destroyed The Stang

well, one too many trips to the track must have done this one, right... the track, that's what they call it now :D

-blew out my carrier bearing, and Pinion bearing, along w/ a couple others that I can't quite find yet:mad:... I'm looking at a lengthy fix here... any suggestions? or should I just cop out and take it to a shop??

-btw, it kinda sounds like a turbo, but much more "whiny"...:( at speeds of about 15 and faster... in case ya'll were curious :D

• Sponsors (?)

mine was the same way!

they said something spider something was broken... all they did was replace the pinion gears and it was good to go...

we should do this together... as a group

Damn man! I just got new gears and a pinion seal in my stang a week or two ago. The guy did a great job. He knows his stuff. I got the traction lok rebuilt too. His name is Jeff. I dont know his screen name though. Highly recommended. he posts on here, so maybe he'll speak up

viperos said:
well, one too many trips to the track must have done this one, right... the track, that's what they call it now :D

-blew out my carrier bearing, and Pinion bearing, along w/ a couple others that I can't quite find yet:mad:... I'm looking at a lengthy fix here... any suggestions? or should I just cop out and take it to a shop??

-btw, it kinda sounds like a turbo, but much more "whiny"...:( at speeds of about 15 and faster... in case ya'll were curious :D

If you want to upgrade, you should probably think about a 31 spline track-lock setup. It would be stronger and save money in the long run. If you went with 4.10 gears, you would probably need to run 28 inch tall tires. It all depends on what you intend to do with the car and your goals -as well as the kind of look you want. I don't know how they would fit on an SN.

If you are trying to save money, you could probably buy the whole rearend from a wrecked Mustang or ? and swap it out. I am just throwing out options. Do the 87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe rears fit in an SN (They fit a Fox)? I located one with 3.73 gears for about $300.

stock50LX said:
If you want to upgrade, you should probably think about a 31 spline track-lock setup. It would be stronger and save money in the long run. If you went with 4.10 gears, you would probably need to run 28 inch tall tires. It all depends on what you intend to do with the car and your goals -as well as the kind of look you want. I don't know how they would fit on an SN.

If you are trying to save money, you could probably buy the whole rearend from a wrecked Mustang or ? and swap it out. I am just throwing out options. Do the 87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe rears fit in an SN (They fit a Fox)? I located one with 3.73 gears for about $300.
hmm interesting thought...
we could do that... i've done a whole axle swap so it shouldn't be a problem.
esp when you do have the compressor and all the tools...

Tarch, you broke your spider gears? How'd you manage that??

That whiny noise coming from the rear end gears is likely due to having backlash change (out of spec) when you broke the carrier bearing. Uh, I'd replace your gears because you sure aren't doing them any good by driving on them with improper backlash. 3.73's at Brads!

By the way, breaking a carrier bearing is nowhere near "destroying the stang". Hell, I'm still driving my car with a popped head gasket and three cracked pistons! I wouldn't really advise that, though. :D

ChrisWeil said:
Tarch, you broke your spider gears? How'd you manage that??

That whiny noise coming from the rear end gears is likely due to having backlash change (out of spec) when you broke the carrier bearing. Uh, I'd replace your gears because you sure aren't doing them any good by driving on them with improper backlash. 3.73's at Brads!

By the way, breaking a carrier bearing is nowhere near "destroying the stang". Hell, I'm still driving my car with a popped head gasket and three cracked pistons! I wouldn't really advise that, though. :D
I have no clue how I broke em! Mash the gas. A mile later I have a new supercharger type sound.

oh, and btw, took it to another friend of mine... it was $250 w/ the bearing kit too... so I was fine w/ it... had it done just in time for a nice vacation to West Port :rlaugh: all the cops leave their radar on, so I know where they are, not to mention the hella long straight-aways that I can really have fun with :D

-oh, and no taller than 3.73s... it's not going to be a track car, it's my "daily driver" which is all of about 8-12K miles/year... so, not too bad... I've put 13K on her in the last 2 years... so, I'd like to keep it kinda practical, but a bit more "agressive" in third on the freeway :D

viperos said:
oh, and btw, took it to another friend of mine... it was $250 w/ the bearing kit too... so I was fine w/ it... had it done just in time for a nice vacation to West Port :rlaugh: all the cops leave their radar on, so I know where they are, not to mention the hella long straight-aways that I can really have fun with :D

-oh, and no taller than 3.73s... it's not going to be a track car, it's my "daily driver" which is all of about 8-12K miles/year... so, not too bad... I've put 13K on her in the last 2 years... so, I'd like to keep it kinda practical, but a bit more "agressive" in third on the freeway :D
Brian, you better be ready for this...

7 days and counting!