WHat do you guys think of this for 72' 351c?

im just saying that id like to have a 12 second car instead of a 14 second car
and the real question is, does he want to build his 73 for the present 14 seconds or the future 12 seconds?
and if he wants the future, does he have the patience and money to see it through

• Sponsors (?)

I hear ya there. I've been working my 89 Ranger towards that goal myself til ithe 5.0 in it cracked a cylinder wall with 400 horses.( well I was happy with a mid 13 it ran last time) But some people are just as happy with a somewhat slower but easier to live with car with a little less performance.

just a quick comment... the difference between the weight of a 65-66 V8 Mustang and a 71-73 Mustang being 1,000 lbs I think is a stretch.....maybe if the "small" Mustang had no options and some fiberglass body panels and the other is a big block equipped, luxuried optioned, cruiser. Looks can be deceiving. I'm not saying it's impossible to have this much of a weight discrepancy but it's definitely not the norm. I have had my small block equipped '71 on the scales to the tune of 3100 lbs with 1/4 tank of gas and removing only the bottom of the rear seat.

Here's a quick link I found for comparison: http://members.tripod.com/fast_wheels/compar.htm

Attachments

• new71rear.jpg
    new71rear.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 103
1973mach1 said:
Thanks for the help guys, after thinking about it for awhile im condsidering going to 4v heads. All's I would need is the new heads, headers, and manifolds I think so it would be an easy swap and if I sold my 2bbl intake and headers i'd break even. I worried about the low end power on the 4bbl heads but even though the torque to Hp ratio doesn't seem anywere near the 2bbl heads they still from what I seen make more torque then the 2bbl heads in stock form and cut alot of time off the 1/4 mile. Plus the intake options seem alot better for the 4v heads. Eventually with some 3.70 and shift kit it should take off pretty well. Any opinions on the 2bbl vs. 4bbl? :shrug:

Thanks,
Jim :flag:

Well, since you asked......
I would not switch to a 4bbl set up. You have all the 2bbl parts, the manifold, the carb, the headers, etc... just build a good reliable driver, with a mild cam and a little bit of stall. You will be out driving and enjoying your car long before you get done paying off your 350 dollar Blue Thunder intake, and your 300 dollar carb and your 250 dollar headers, and your 400 bare heads (that you pray arent cracked as you give the man your money), and etc....
Trust me, I have a 4bbl motor and I love it! I wouldnt trade it for ... most anything, but damn man, youve got the makings for a good set-up, and YOU ALREADY OWN ALL THE PARTS.
If you want a terror machine, go buy a 6cyl fox mustang and start scrounging junk yards for a 460. Even a mild, all cast, 460 with just a 4bbl manifold, mild hydraulic cam, and decent exhaust will make 400hp and close to 500lb/ft of torque. And there are several companies that make kits to slide one right in a stang.
( imho ) Keep your classic, fun, reliable and affordable.... then dump your money into a killer machine that is small and light. To try to turn a 71+ into a killer is alott more work than its worth...
Dont get me wrong they are a GREAT car, but they are big and heavy, two of the worst enemies to performance.
Keep everything in perspective, you'll have more fun and save more money in the long run.... youre driver will be more driveable, and your racer will be quicker...
Just my .02
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Dave- :nice: :flag:

I havea 73 351 c 2v c6
edelbroc 750 performer(changing jets to get it closer to 600 this weekend)
edelbroc performer intake
Edelbroc timming set
Petronix ignitor II
Edelbroc performer cam
Flat top pistons
3 angle valve job on the 2v heads
Rebuilt tranny(c6) with some extra work
and i love the combo,
I am adding dynomax headers this weekend,
could not find tag on rearend so not sure
There is something to be said about matching parts...

I had a 72 gran torino sport with same set up with the 4v heads and i like the 2v heads better and so does my gas tank

Kurt

Kurt said:
I havea 73 351 c 2v c6
edelbroc 750 performer(changing jets to get it closer to 600 this weekend)

Kurt
You CANNOT "rejet" a 750 carb to a 600. It ain't gonna happen. No Way, No How. We're not talking about EFI here, just carbs. A carb that's rated to flow 750 ( or any other CFM) is gonna flow just that, at what ever pressure differential it's rated at. The only carbs that I know of that you can change the CFM rating on is a certain model Barry Grant carb, it has replaceable throat inserts in the main body. Changing jets only alters the air/fuel ratio, not the cfm rating.