What does an engine rebuild cost and what does it involve?

search4aztlan

Nov 19, 2002
Orlando, FL
I'm running a '94 302 with 192,xxx miles. I'm hearing some rattling that can be heard slightly at idle somewhere on the underside of the engine and becomes really evident at around 3,000 rpm. Don't know what it is but figured that an engine rebuild may unmask the problem then I could get it fixed. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I assume you want to spend the least amount possible? You could probably do a rebuild for under a $1500. Summit sells a rebuild kit with hyper pistons for around $270 I think. Comes with new pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump, gaskets, etc. Machine work would be around $500-$600 for a .030 over bore, crank ground, resized rods, and head rebuild. I would envest in some ARP bolts (main, rod, and head) for cheap insurance so add another $100. Keep in mind this is reusing all your stock components, cam, rocker arms, heads, intake, TB, everything. And wouldn't be any better of a performer than stock. If I were to do a rebuild like that, I would definantly get some new roller lifters and valve springs as well. Don't forget about tools if you don't already have them like an engine stand and torque wrench. I just rebuilt my first engine and I must say it's not that hard to do at all, but then again I haven't dropped it in and started it yet either so....