What fluid are YOU using in your T5?

• Sponsors (?)

my buddy told me he used just a regular cheap brand in his 04 cobra, then went to royal purple...he said it felt smoother and just all around better. I guess ill need to try it.

At the napa near my house they sell royal purple and i got a kick out of the label, it says, "Increases horsepower" lol. I just thought that was funny.

I used Hurst Hot Shift the last time I changed fluid in Frankenstang's notch and Capri. It's a funky purple kinda color. It did noticably go through the gears a lot more smoothly, but I'm sure it had more to do with the tranny simply needing a fluid change, in general, rather than having anything to do with the actual fluid I used.

FWIW, if I had the money, I would've sprung for the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, simply because it should (in theory) hold up a lot longer over time than regular fluid before it starts to break down and get all dark n' yucky ... although you'll still be accumulating the usual bunch of dirt and metal particles and whatnot that you would with regular fluid, regardless of what other kind of fluid you use.

I think it's largely a matter of personal preference rather than any actual performance difference. Again, higher-quality fluids (especially synthetic) should last a bit longer, but it'll all work pretty much the same, operationally. It's not like when you use ATF in an actual automatic transmission, where the fluid's specific properties will actually result in an obvious difference in function; in a T-5, ATF is just plain ol' gear fluid ... just really, really THIN gear fluid. :D

i have been using cheap ATF, i used mobil 1 synthetic and it shifted smoother with the synthetic stuff. my t5 has had a leak and i dont want to waste money by having expensive fluid leak out, but lately the leak has almost stopped so i might go back to synthetic

At the napa near my house they sell royal purple and i got a kick out of the label, it says, "Increases horsepower" lol. I just thought that was funny.

to some extent that is true though. it may not technically increase the hp of your engine, but can (and does) increase the rwhp seen with dyno testing. it reduces drivetrain loss. i have seen several back to back dyno runs changing normal gear oil for royal purple, and it was around an average of 5 rwhp gain...

and yes you can fill through the shifter.

to some extent that is true though. it may not technically increase the hp of your engine, but can (and does) increase the rwhp seen with dyno testing. it reduces drivetrain loss. i have seen several back to back dyno runs changing normal gear oil for royal purple, and it was around an average of 5 rwhp gain...

and yes you can fill through the shifter.

Yea i know its true to that extent but i just pictured some ricer coming in and seeing, "increases horsepower" and being like that would kick a** in my civic, lets pay the 13 dollars/quart and race some domestics :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

:rlaugh: that is true...but if they use the fluid no one will know what their packing:D

but thats not their style!!. they want everyone to know just how little they have. they're proud of it. thats why they run coffee can mufflers, air freshener/windshield-washer fluid stickers, & ironing boards on their trunks, etc. (ps... i've notice almost every ricer is a type R something.... what exactly is that?????) i wouldnt be suprised to see a civic with a royal purple sticker covering his entire back window one day.... i know i've seen worse.

edit: my comments are not about imports. its about the import crowd you've all seen that think they're fast, with stupid crap taped onto them, when they're not. ty.