what kind of motor oil do you all use?

• Sponsors (?)

40th GT said:
Mobil1 5w-20 and Motorcraft filter changed every 4 months. (2500 miles)

2500 miles is pretty early to change your oil, don't u worry about the all the "drystarts"? I feel that mobil can last much longer. MY buddy took is oil out of his 2000 Crown vic (4.6 2v) which he drives pretty hard. And he sent in a sample when he changed his oil at a 10,000 mile interval. and had it tested and was well withing spec. I do mine around 4000-5000. oil analyzers - you do it through amsoil. This is what he told me. I use to work for hertz, and they only changed the oil every 5000 miles and that wasn't even synthetic oil. some of the cars went closer to 6k on non synthetic.

CRZYHRSGT said:
Mobil1 5W30 and Motorcraft filter from Wal-Mart (cheapest place I've found for both)...

i always get the "treatment" from walmart. in other words, i get em to rotate my tires, check the fluids, etc. however, this time around im gonna make the switch to synthetic oil and go with youre setup, so to speak. mobil 1 and motorcraft. crzyhrsgt, with that oil, how often do you change it?

JohnyD05 said:
2500 miles is pretty early to change your oil, don't u worry about the all the "drystarts"? I feel that mobil can last much longer. MY buddy took is oil out of his 2000 Crown vic (4.6 2v) which he drives pretty hard. And he sent in a sample when he changed his oil at a 10,000 mile interval. and had it tested and was well withing spec. I do mine around 4000-5000. oil analyzers - you do it through amsoil. This is what he told me. I use to work for hertz, and they only changed the oil every 5000 miles and that wasn't even synthetic oil. some of the cars went closer to 6k on non synthetic.
Yeah, I realize 2500 miles is too short, esp for synthetic. But I do a lot of short distance trips-My daily commute is less than 10 miles and I drive all of 500 miles per month. So every 2000-2500 miles, which is about equal to 4 months, the oil comes out of the pan looking dark brown, almost black.

I should really do an oil analysis, but usually, when oil turns dark, its contaminated.

Mobil 1 10W30 Synthetic & Mobil 1 MI-210 Synthetic oil filter.

U.M.

search.bmp

First off, thanks to everyone who posted above Mobil 1 and NOT Mobile 1. Tired of seeing that s h i t.
Now, I had 5w-30 Mobil 1 in my '04 GT since 1,200 miles but switched to Castrol GTX Dino 5w-30 @25,000 with my blower install since my tooner recommends dino oil.