What Paint Does The Pros Use ?

Roger_4.6_96

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
Reno,NV
I always hear some horrible prices for paint like $3,000 here $5,000 etc.. My buddy told me the paint cost like $400 and they charge up the ass.

I would like to get my car repainted with my urethane parts and stalker hood.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought the House of Kolors Galaxy Black which is arguably the best and most expensive paint you can buy. I paid $500 for the paint. The more they disassemble the car, the more money they are going to charge you. You can pay cheaper prices where they just tape off the places that aren't supposed to get paint, but you will notice the difference where paint is missing by the molding. To do it professionally and perfect, you need to remove all of the weatherstripping, molding, headlights, bumpers, etc.. Your going to pay for it though

just as said above. The high prices are due to the intense amount of labor that goes into sanding and prepping a car. I painted my car myself in my driveway and I'd never do it again. It was soooo much work to do. I would definitely charge a few grand to paint someone's car.

Anyway. house of kolors is great and BSAF is good stuff too.

I talked to a guy today who has painting booth right down the street from my house. He says it cost $500 for really good paint materials. He also told me it was ok to use cheap paint as long as i use alot of clear. Im just getting ready to paint my car with all my new parts and just dont wanna pay 10 times the amount.

Basically i just want my bumpers, wing, hood, side skirts all painted off the car. I can put those on myself.

I think its better to go with a system of paints. All dupont, HOK, etc. Staying in a brand lowers risk of adhesion problems along with flaking. If you use a bunch of cheap paint, then use good clear, it might start to come off. :shrug:

megan_92 said:
the guy that was going to paint my car bought PPG paint/clear and all that other stuff... is it any good?
It's pretty good paint. I have used it in the past. it's hard to spray but the results are pretty good.

I use matrix on all of my stuff. I have used everything from House of Kolor, to BASF, to DuPont, and beyond. and of all of those Matrix is the best quality and easiest to spray. it also cost about 1/3 of the cost of HoK. :nice:

In order of Quality from lowest to highest of the "good" paints that I know of

PPG
Dupont
HOK

Always stay with 1 system of paints though, as they are chemically matched.
Also you want to try and get your ENTIRE color range at one time from the same batch. Most paints should have a batch number on the container, if Im not mistaken.