Wheel/rim/front end problemo

beerman1378

Aug 7, 2006
Since I just put my new rims and tires on (275/40 17 from 245/45 17) the front end was out of line and vibrated at about 30+. I knew after mounting the tires on my car(tires and rims came mounted and balanced *except one that I had to have mounted and balanced seperately*) I would need an alignment. I explained to the tech what was goin on and he said that it definitley needs an alignment and possibly a new balance. Once I got the alignment the vibration had subsided pretty drastically but I can still feel vibration a bit. Does anyone think that the vibration is due to the tires being unproperly balanced? The steering feels kinda spongy while in a straight line too. not the quick responsiveness like it was b4. SOMEONE HELP!!

• Sponsors (?)

Sponggy? I'd agree low tire pressure. Could also be the switch from one brand and style of tire to another. Is the new rim tire combo heavier than the old? That can also be detect sometimes.
Hope you get it all to your taste.

Ill start from the beginning. I had 245/45 17x8 polished. I switched to 275/40 17x9 chrome. Since mounting the wheels(which 3 of em came mounted and balanced*the other I had mounted and balanced*) there was a lot of front end shimmy. I knew it needed an alignment, so I had one done. It took a lot of the shimmy out but it is still there a bit. Could the problem be that the wheels are balanced improperly causing the slight front end shimmy(right to left like an out of line feeling...not a vibration)???

sounds more like a tracking issue or the tires following the grooves in the road to me.
when I've had tires get out of balance ( threw a weight off) it was a vibration up and down movement violent shaking, and in general felt like a death trap.
Although for a comforts sake get them balanced again. people make mistakes, and heck a weigth could've got knocked off in shipping.

A front wheel out of balance will normally cause the steering wheel to pulsate back and forth. A rear wheel will give you a vibration you can feel in the seat of your pants. In both cases the pulsation or vibration will normally be felt at certain speeds and disappear above or below that speed. A shimmy is something else like worn tie rod ends, ball joints, bearings etc.

Another possibility is a bad/bent rim or a tire out of round. When they balanced the wheels did they check for runout?