Where Do I Go From Here?

06cumminsman

Feb 8, 2017
Alabama
Got a 91 5.0, currently its got gt40 upper and lower, gt40 heads with valves worked, cai system, f cam, 70mm tb, 1.5 roller rocker, 3.73 gears, spec clutch with steeda tri-ax, subframe connectors. I am waiting on my heads to get back from being decked smooth since they had a few small spots that weren't smooth.
I've heard bigger fuel lines, injectors, and throttle body but I'm not sure if I'd get much gains from that

• Sponsors (?)

Got a 91 5.0, currently its got gt40 upper and lower, gt40 heads with valves worked, cai system, f cam, 70mm tb, 1.5 roller rocker, 3.73 gears, spec clutch with steeda tri-ax, subframe connectors. I am waiting on my heads to get back from being decked smooth since they had a few small spots that weren't smooth.
I've heard bigger fuel lines, injectors, and throttle body but I'm not sure if I'd get much gains from that

Fuel lines are fine, leave them alone.

For that combination 19lb injectors are fine, but some could argue going 24lbs. I would say if staying 19lbs, do the SN95 housing MAF upgrade for better throttle response.

70mm throttle body is good for that intake and combo, 75mm maybe, but there's not a lot of material there to port and isn't really necessary with the current mods.

Maybe some good wires, work on the suspension, fuel pump (190 or 255lph), and slicks

Pretty much that combination is maxed out with changing the top end configuration, supercharging it, Nitrous, or jack standing it...turbo jk,

Guess it depends on the goals because right now you're in the 250-285hp range depending on the work done to the heads.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. That's kinda what I'm thinking. Got 9mm Ford racing wires and have thought of the upgraded fuel pump. Wanting to keep it streetable so slicks is out for now unless I throw them on at the track. Wasn't told what all was done to the heads but my machinist said whomever did the work did an excellent job setting the valves flush.

19's are a little small but can be made to work with a little extra fuel pressure(if needed). I would upgrade the fuel pump. If you never plan on a power adder(i.e. Forced induction) a 155lph pump is my suggestion. The Ford wires are ok but there have been some issues with quality in past few years. Most are fine but others have had issues. I have run them on my car for awhile without issue. I also liked Taylor brand. Keep the rest of the ignition system stock. No need for a "performance coil". Just a FYI.

19's are a little small but can be made to work with a little extra fuel pressure(if needed). I would upgrade the fuel pump. If you never plan on a power adder(i.e. Forced induction) a 155lph pump is my suggestion. The Ford wires are ok but there have been some issues with quality in past few years. Most are fine but others have had issues. I have run them on my car for awhile without issue. I also liked Taylor brand. Keep the rest of the ignition system stock. No need for a "performance coil". Just a FYI.
Sure... now you say that after I ordered 24's and a MSD coil...:fuss:

Lol just kidding,kinda...:O_o:

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly it sounds like you need to step away from the off the shelf stuff. Maybe look into a custom cam, aftermarket heads and ect. Maybe figure the end goal and then go from there

Get a good adjustable fuel pressure regulator like Kirban. Get a wideband A/F monitoring setup like PLX. See where your A/F mixture is at WOT and crank up the pressure if needed. You can get away with 19's but like the others have said, you can squeeze more out of them with some extra pressure. Knowing exactly how much is the key. Thats where the wideband comes in to play.

You said GT40 upper. Is this the GT40 from an Explorer or is it the true tubular GT40 from a Cobra?

Gt40 from the cobra. I wasn't sure about the widebaband gauge but needed another one for the triple pillar I'm adding. The end goal is to be streetable but stand up or outrun my truck. It's around 600hp and 1200 ft pounds of torque with custom tune.

Out run your 1200ftpd truck.........You might consider a little more than what you have.

Get a 351, bore and stroke it to a 427, choose your poison for forced induction and forget ever taking it on the road when there is any moisture, including a neighborhood kid spitting on the pavement.

If this weren't a mustang forum, i'd love to hear about your truck! To hell with it, tell me about your truck!:pop:

24lb injectors and MAF would give you a little more room to grow. Seems most are suggesting bumping up fuel pressure.

Just think....two v6 cars were listed here...with 24lb injectors.

The car will run with 19lb and a little pressure but not at optimum limits of the injectors.

A wideband is very important on any performance car.

The fuel pump upgrade is definitely worth it. The rails are good till around 500hp ( supposedly ). Mind you 500hp is pushing the limits of the block and chassis on a fo

If the brakes haven't been upgraded, they would be an awesome upgrade. Factory fox brakes suck. Now would be the time to stick a 93 cobra booster in there and upgrade to disc brakes on all four corners. That would mean going 5 lug.

Do you have any suspension upgrades ?

I've been at the track and seen built to the hilt Dodge deisels run 12s in the quarter. Because of the weight difference it isn't hard to beat a 600hp truck with a... 300hp fox. Its the power to weight ratio ya know.

10000lb truck needs 5 times more power to move as fast as a 2000lb car. If 2000 pound car has 300hp the 10000lb truck needs 1500hp. Fox mustangs are usually between 2700 and 3200lbs ?

I'm no engineer...but torque comes into play in the equation somewhere....but its all relative to the mass it has to move.

I've been at the track and seen built to the hilt Dodge deisels run 12s in the quarter. Because of the weight difference it isn't hard to beat a 600hp truck with a... 300hp fox. Its the power to weight ratio ya know.

10000lb truck needs 5 times more power to move as fast as a 2000lb car. If 2000 pound car has 300hp the 10000lb truck needs 1500hp. Fox mustangs are usually between 2700 and 3200lbs ?

I'm no engineer...but torque comes into play in the equation somewhere....but its all relative to the mass it has to move.
You're so smart, i feel like an r-tard.:zombie:

Out run your 1200ftpd truck.........You might consider a little more than what you have.

Get a 351, bore and stroke it to a 427, choose your poison for forced induction and forget ever taking it on the road when there is any moisture, including a neighborhood kid spitting on the pavement.

If this weren't a mustang forum, i'd love to hear about your truck! To hell with it, tell me about your truck!:pop:
Haha well when you consider the truck is right at 9k and sitting on 35's it takes a lot to get it moving. I'm just short of stock z06 since I haven't but the billet trans in. Don't want to build it anymore and cause issues with it's intended use of hauling a big load

Brakes seem to suck which the skinny front wheel doesn't help, it's had shocks and struts upgraded but I think I can do better on that part too. I've seen a few post about converting to 5 lug, but would love to keep the 4 and just upgrade what's there.
The torque comes into play on start off the line, more so to get a heavier vehicle to launch hard. Currently with semi sticky tires I can launch my truck in 4 high and rip up asphalt at the track. I can't help it, when I need to move I want the power there. The car feels faster to me but I haven't yet done the true test. Plus as much as I love that throaty roar from my truck I can't find anything better than a good exhaust in a 5.0 as you snatch gears.

Reactions: 2 users