Wheres my gas going!!

00GTpony

Mar 10, 2007
Ok so i feel like ive been burning tons and tons of gas... I filled it up today, reset the trip.. tn i got home i used a tad bit more then a quarter of a tank, and ive only driven 33 miles.. Half were highway!!... that cant be right!!.. whats wrong

• Sponsors (?)

I don't suppose you made a stop on a mustang dyno and made a 40min long, steady state pull at redline in first on it, did you?

You'd better check for gas leaks if you really used a quarter tank. Otherwise, you have a bad sending unit or gauge.

Ok so i feel like ive been burning tons and tons of gas... I filled it up today, reset the trip.. tn i got home i used a tad bit more then a quarter of a tank, and ive only driven 33 miles.. Half were highway!!... that cant be right!!.. whats wrong

No, bad sending unit as it is not sending the right signal to the gauge. Fill it up 2mro and see how much fuel it takes, I would bet @33 miles you only burned 2 gallons at most. Also are you sure you completly filled it? When my gauge points at F I can still put in another 1 1/2 gallons.

I was burning 13 mpg before getting tuned after changing exhaust and heads, but the tune only saved me 3 mpg's but thats not even close to your claim... check for leaks everywhere, maybe change the O-rings on your injectors just in case, they are cheap and easy.

Take off right shoe, remove lead, replace with helium and reinstall.

My auto does 80-100 per 1/4...140 per half and 210 for 3/4 on the gauge.

I've been getting 20-23 mpg mixed driving.

in my experience the fuel gauge doesn't read so linear. the first quarter will seem to last forever, then the second and third quarters go by faster, then the last quarter lasts longer. it's like a bell curve.

props on the 248a btw :nice:

Most of the cars I have owned did that too...

Do what LaserSVT said above and see physically how much gas you burned, will at least help narrow it down.

Do you smell gas?

Top it off. Drive until it says 3/4 tank and go fill it up again and see how many gallons it used. You will narrow your search down by finding out actual consumption compared to what the gauge says.

If the gauge is correct try basic cleaning first...air filter, injector cleaner, plugs etc...and see what happens then. I just did this to mine and went from 225 miles a tank to 290+ per tank.

in my experience the fuel gauge doesn't read so linear. the first quarter will seem to last forever, then the second and third quarters go by faster, then the last quarter lasts longer. it's like a bell curve...

I think this is the answer to your original question. You can't determine mileage or fuel efficiency from a partial guage reading.

Word, burn a quarter tank and refill to see how much fuel is actually burning. If you are burning excessive fuel, do basic service, then if it's still ****ed up check your long term fuel trims if you have the capabilities.