Which is the better Radiator?

CobraGT87

Mr. Speed Density
Founding Member
Apr 22, 1999
USA
I'm planning on changing radiators as mine is a bit shorter (3") than the stock one. Even though it's a very good alum rad and cools fine with my RC fans now.
I'm adding a complete new A/C system with an upgraded condenser (33% more efficient) to the car so i'm going with the Mark VIII fan along with my DCC unit so I know i'll have the best fan/controller setup out and wont have any worries about cooling issues in the 113+ heat out here in AZ when in heavy traffic.

My question is, which is the better Alum radiator? The Griffin 31x19 ($350 approx). the Summit Universal 31x19 ($180), Ron Davis ($$??).

I'll need the taller & wider radiator so the Mark VIII fit's best. I don't want one with plastic in it or the smaller 3/4" tubes like in the FMS alum rad. The one I have now is all alum with polished side tanks with 1" tubes. I don't need the polished tanks, but do need at least 1" tubes.

Scott

• Sponsors (?)

CobraGT87 said:
I'm planning on changing radiators as mine is a bit shorter (3") than the stock one. Even though it's a very good alum rad and cools fine with my RC fans now.
I'm adding a complete new A/C system with an upgraded condenser (33% more efficient) to the car so i'm going with the Mark VIII fan along with my DCC unit so I know i'll have the best fan/controller setup out and wont have any worries about cooling issues in the 113+ heat out here in AZ when in heavy traffic.

My question is, which is the better Alum radiator? The Griffin 31x19 ($350 approx). the Summit Universal 31x19 ($180), Ron Davis ($$??).

I'll need the taller & wider radiator so the Mark VIII fit's best. I don't want one with plastic in it or the smaller 3/4" tubes like in the FMS alum rad. The one I have now is all alum with polished side tanks with 1" tubes. I don't need the polished tanks, but do need at least 1" tubes.

Scott

For the price the summit radiator can't be beat, however there are better radiators out there like the Griffin but for more money. Honestly, I think you can't go wrong either way, but I'd probably go with the summit and save a good $170 to put towards something else. Good luck.

1990LXDropTop said:
For the price the summit radiator can't be beat, however there are better radiators out there like the Griffin but for more money. Honestly, I think you can't go wrong either way, but I'd probably go with the summit and save a good $170 to put towards something else. Good luck.

I've been reading & hearing that the summit is a good radiator. do you happen to know the specific part#?

Scott

Scott, I might want to run a radiator with no epoxy. Have you considered an Afco? If you search threads I started, I had a long thread about radiators (it was for the 94, but same idea in terms of what is good, bad and indifferent).

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Scott, I might want to run a radiator with no epoxy. Have you considered an Afco? If you search threads I started, I had a long thread about radiators (it was for the 94, but same idea in terms of what is good, bad and indifferent).

Good luck.

same here. my current radiator has no epoxy either. I haven't tho checked out an AFCO rad, but i'll deff do that as well as search for threads that you posted.

Thank You for that info,
Scott

Daggar said:
I had this same conversatioin with Rick91GT last evening over the phone. He recommended the AFCO as well. Here's the link:

http://www.secureperformanceorder.c...ID=6&ClassID=70&SubclassID=315&ProductID=2493

Thanks for that link. that rad looks real nice and the price is sure right. I'm just waiting to see if a buddy who lives real close to RD can get a better deal on the purchase ot 2 or 3 at a time as he's buying one too. They make a 28x19 (direct fit) and a 31x19. same as the AFCO with 1" tubes, no epoxy, 16 fins/inch, etc.
I noticed the Afco was 27.5 and had no pet ****. RD's site shows them with petcocks now (not that it really matters to me), but i'd like to stick with the biggest rad I can get in there unless RD tells me that going from their 28 to 31 will yeild little diff. I just want the one thats fit's up to the Mark VIII the best.

I'll deff hold onto that link. till I find out total cost on the RD.
Thanks,
Scott

Worst case, A local shop can toss a petcock on for ya. I think Paul had brackets [or saddles - I cant remember] welded on, plus a petcock installed for 35 bucks.

I will note that my 26" Afco came with no petcock and the lower rad hose angles upward. I had to do hose mods anyhow for that application (on a 94).

Dags, you might remember that I had gotten a different radiator (not an Afco) the first time around. I was not sure if the welds looked normal. Rick looked at pics and highly recommended the Afco instead (which everone else had as well). I did not get the Afco originally since Summit did not list it. It turns out that they could get it and all that (directly from Afco) and it was no biggie.

The Afco folks were real nice on the phone as well. And Rick is great for sharing his experiences with us (who better to ask than a guy who uses a ton of these things). :nice:

Scott, I can tell ya I had to trim the SN95 fan to get it to fit across a 26" rad.

I bet you can do the 31" radiator w/o too much work, but I have not installed one on a fox, so that is just my conjecture.

Scott, are you up in the Phx area?

Good luck bud.

CobraGT87 said:

Scott

What about the Griffin universal 31x19" for $190? I don't think you can beat it for the price.