White Face Gauges

• Sponsors (?)

i had to take the gauge pod out because the speedo needles stuck once...just happened once but i figured id fix it. while it was out i decided to cut out the warning light area. it was tedious because its really close to the indiglo portions of the overlay and because i couldn't take it off because the needles make it almost impossible. anyway, i think it looks better. pic is on the 2nd page of my cardomain page.

inferno9898 said:
i had to take the gauge pod out because the speedo needles stuck once...just happened once but i figured id fix it. while it was out i decided to cut out the warning light area. it was tedious because its really close to the indiglo portions of the overlay and because i couldn't take it off because the needles make it almost impossible. anyway, i think it looks better. pic is on the 2nd page of my cardomain page.

Ok i got convinced. I just bid on those same exact faces. FOr $20 it's worth a shot ($12 shipping is a rip) and if i don't like them i can just take them out and go back to the stockers. Since it's a slip-on style of face.

I think i'll trim out the warning lights though. I don't like how you can see them in the day. WHat about the turnsignals/high beam lights? Think those can be trimmed out as well?

As for the odometer reading. Why is it blurry? Is that a clear lens on the gauge face? If so, you think it could be trimmed away with a sharp razor blade?

I'm being picky because I am. I like the style of gauge face but i don't want to sacrifice anything to put these on. I don't want to see my needles hanging up or my odometer reading blurred. But like i said, For $20, i can expeirment. I'll just go to town with a sharp razor and then test them before I install.

Mustang5L5 said:
I think i'll trim out the warning lights though. I don't like how you can see them in the day. WHat about the turnsignals/high beam lights? Think those can be trimmed out as well?

I wish I would have trimmed the stuff before I put them in. It was hard enough to slip the gauges over the needles that I don't even want to try to get it off. I could cut out the warning lights while the overlay is still on the gauge pod, but the turn signals would have been too tricky so I left them alone.

Mustang5L5 said:
As for the odometer reading. Why is it blurry? Is that a clear lens on the gauge face? If so, you think it could be trimmed away with a sharp razor blade?

I thought about it, but the problem is that unlike cutting out the warning symbol area where your jagged cuts are covered by the bezel, I think the cut lines of the odometer area would be too obvious. Too risky for me.

Part of the reason I had to take it apart today was to fix the switch that controls the color and brightness. There are four wires on it that are held on by very tiny and fragile solders. One of them broke when I initially installed it, but since it was only from the green color I didn't care that much. I didn't mount the switch to begin with, and just stuck it up on top of what looks like a big wiring harness or ecu above the pedals. Two of the other solders broke off during driving I guess and the indiglo didn't work anymore. I had to redo the solder on these wires and now it works fine. Be careful with the switch, you'll see what I mean if you get it. I ended up mounting it in about the same spot that Dmarco has his using adhesive velcro patches because it's easier than drilling/screwing.

Now that I have green, thought I'd mention that at the lowest brightness, the green color is VERY similar to the color of the radio, etc. I'll probably switch to that for longer trips where the bright blue might get annoying. I really can't believe how well this turned out for under $30.

I think if you were careful you could trim out the odometer area with no problems.

Question, though: before you trimmed away the idiot light area, did the idiot lights on the gauges line up with the idiot lights on the dash? I bought a set of lights where they didn't (and the lights on the gauges looked like ass), but trimming worked.

Yeah, i definitely need to get rid of the white idiot lights then. I just want the gauges.

I *may* try to trim the odometer and the turn signals. I have a steady hand and like i said, $20 is worth the risk

Dmarco,

I just got my gauges in and i was checking out your website. How did you wire them up? The onle picture you have says to hook them up to the red wire? Is that correct? Red to red/orange and black to ground?

Oh for everyone else, it's pretty easy to trim the warning lights and turn signal lights out of the gauges, But don't try to trim the odometer face. It's kinda difficult. It took me several hours to shave it perfectly so it looks OEM. If i had to do it over, i would have left it alone.

Mustang5L5 said:
I just got my gauges in and i was checking out your website. How did you wire them up? The onle picture you have says to hook them up to the red wire? Is that correct? Red to red/orange and black to ground?
yeap red to red and the ground or black to the frame of the car or you can splice it to the black wire

Woah, two different answers.

Red

Dark Brown.

WHich one of those wires is dimmer controlled? Since the gauges have their own dimmer, i want the one that is NOT dimmer controlled

I have the one from www.speedhut.com and I love them. They were 97$ delivered and took about 45 min. to install. They do not come with an on/off switch but I mad my own. They also have they correct GT redline. You can custom make them to have flames or logos, but that costs extra. Mine say This Is One Bad GT.:)

1bad04GT said:
I have the one from www.speedhut.com and I love them. They were 97$ delivered and took about 45 min. to install. They do not come with an on/off switch but I mad my own. They also have they correct GT redline. You can custom make them to have flames or logos, but that costs extra. Mine say This Is One Bad GT.:)

what is the correct GT redline? dont remember what stock was