Why did my dealer quote me 27,000 for 05GT? Anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

Adam2004 said:
Why is there a difference of about $8000 between the V6 and the GT? I can understand about $5k max but this is nearly $10k we are talking. Seems a bit much.

AllI've seen is the v6 going for under $20l. And the gt going for about $25k. Where is the $8k. Unless you are talking about the idea of the loaded gt. But then you have to realize that a loaded V6 is likely not going to come in under $20k.

Got an e-mail for my buddy at ford.

"I've been getting lots of questions on the 2005 Mustang. I'm lucky since I share an office with the Ford Market Area Manager...official pricing hasn't been announced to the region yet... This is going to be Ford's flagship vehicle for Fall 2004, so official pricing should begin in late summer."

As I said before, the dealer that quoted $27k invoice is full of 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'.

I also find it odd that the V8 jumps up a good 7K from the V6, I don't think there should be that much of a gap. I say 3-4 or maybe 5K at the max but 7K? I don't think Ford really cares though because the majority of Mustangs sold are V6's, they say thats what pays the bills and allows them to make fun stuff like the Cobra. Maybe if they could bring the GT down to 22-23K for a base which is still a jump but a reasonable one, they would sell more of them. With gas prices the way they are and many people trading in their V8's for smaller, more affordable cars, I wonder if Ford will really stick to that 25K for the GT? I lease my vehicles so the sticker price really doesn't matter as much to me, its all about what kind of trade you have, how much you put down and what incentives they have going on the vehicle so I will end up getting a GT anyways but given current gas prices and the public frowning on gas guzzlers, maybe Ford should consider dropping the GT a couple grand.

mball said:
I also find it odd that the V8 jumps up a good 7K from the V6, I don't think there should be that much of a gap. I say 3-4 or maybe 5K at the max but 7K? I don't think Ford really cares though because the majority of Mustangs sold are V6's, they say thats what pays the bills and allows them to make fun stuff like the Cobra. Maybe if they could bring the GT down to 22-23K for a base which is still a jump but a reasonable one, they would sell more of them. With gas prices the way they are and many people trading in their V8's for smaller, more affordable cars, I wonder if Ford will really stick to that 25K for the GT?

How is this strange? Do you know what the prices on the 2004 Mustangs are?

2004 V6 Coupe. $18,660 MSRP including destination

2004 GT Coupe. $24,185 MSRP inclucing destination

Difference: $5,525

I think that the $18K number for the 2005 V6 is actually low. MSRP with destination charge will probably be almost $19K for a V6 Coupe stripper.

From BON...

"A big part of Thai-Tang's job is to make the Mustang's driving experience as inviting as the window sticker: Prices range from below $20,000 for a V6-powered version up to the mid-$50,000 range for a limited-edition, power-packed 'Stang."

Lawman85 said:
They were saying $25,700 as base price for a GT at the Atlanta Auto Show today.

Although this may end up being close, the auto show people really have no idea. I was as the Detroit NAIAS this year and the ford reps at that show are just local salesmen so you can bet that at some Podunk auto show in Atlanta they aren't going to be any better than the Detroit folks.

I suppose I could stomach $25,700 if it is well equipped. For me, that would be an auto trans (lots of stop and go in So Cal), leather, pw etc., and maybe the mid-level stereo. I truly hope that Ford can bring this car in around that price, or lower. Much more and its in entry level lux car territory, which my wife would greatly prefer. To say she is skeptical about buying a mustang gt, which she would occassionally drive, would be an understatement. Maybe I'm just whupped, but some of us have to consider such things before spended nearly $30, after taxes etc. Come'on Ford, make this purchase work for me!

JaysGreenLX said:
There is probably a combination of things going on here.

1. You are 19. These guys see a kid that might have some money and they try to soak them for everything. I know all too well. I checked out a car when I was 18 and the guy quoted me a price that I thought was a little high. My dad went to the dealership w/o me and the guy quoted him $1500 less.
2. Car dealers 9 times out of 10 are BS'ers, when they don't know the answer they make it up
3. that was probably MSRP, wait until it's actually released check the invoice price and expect to pay a little over that.

Your exactly right. I've been through 3 new vehicle purchases since i graduated from high school. I was 22 when i got my mustang and I will guarantee you they are going to try to take advantage of you just like they would an older person. That being said i purchased my current GT for 19,615 with a 400 college grad discount. Thats a VERY good price. You know how i got that good of a price? Patience. I want my mustang bad but i simply could not afford to put myself in a situation i was paying more than about 350 a month and i knew i had a downpayment of about 2000 and a trade in worth about 4500 after payoff. So i worked out where i would not have to pay for the new car for more than 48 months that was my limit. And i ended up with a car note of 320.95. Patience is the key because the dealers will thrive on your impatience. Eventually deep into the first year model of the 05 mustang the dealers will begin to really knock the price down to empty the lots and THATS when you start looking hard. Another important fact is that bigger cities have better deals period. They have bigger inventories and are hit the same by slow buying as little towns are. There is more competition and dealers are willing to take a 200-300 profit off of them. NEVER pay over invoice unless its an extremely hot vehicle like a special edition (cobra etc). The truth is there invoice price is never really their invoice. The dealer gets mass car purchase discounts and other regional discounts depending on the manufacturer and dealer. Typically you can get a vehicle for about 20-25% of MSRP thats the when you are ready to buy.

Good luck and remember to be patient.

kirkyg