Will Comp 986-16 Work,

Nemethjames1

May 15, 2016
I am installing hitech stage 2 cams in my 2004 gt. When I got the car the seller gave me new comp valve springs part number 986-16. Will these work on the pi motor? I didn't want to spend 200+ on the beehive springs if I can use these.
You can use stock springs with these cams many say but my stocks have almost 200k miles on them.
Already spent $3,000 on suspension/engine/410's so money is tight. I also do 100% of the work myself.

Anyone using these springs or any springs that will work for around $100 or less?

• Sponsors (?)

Seriously I have the worst luck when it comes to getting people to reply for help.

Is no one using these 986-16 valve springs in our 2v's?

Why does everyone go to beehive? They seem too expensive!

I may just get a new set of factory ones for my hitech stage 2's. not looking to spend more than maybe 100-120$

yeah they say you can use stock springs. But mine have about 180k miles on then, AND lots of people that said they used stock springs said that the valvetrain was noisy, replaced springs and was quite again.
Plus I rev as high as I can everyday.

But I'm getting mixed answers some say they don't some say they do. Think I will have to spend the money for springs that work for sure..

yeah they say you can use stock springs. But mine have about 180k miles on then, AND lots of people that said they used stock springs said that the valvetrain was noisy, replaced springs and was quite again.
Plus I rev as high as I can everyday.

But I'm getting mixed answers some say they don't some say they do. Think I will have to spend the money for springs that work for sure..

That's a lot of miles for the stock springs, especially with winding it out daily. Go for some new springs, and sleep easy at night.
As for why beehives, it's so you can get away with less spring pressure (easier on the drive train) while keeping good valve control. Or, higher rpm potential without going to crazy-high spring pressures.

Nathan