Will this welder work?

stangman16

Nov 16, 2004
San Antonio, TX
I just need a welder to weld my O2 sensor bungs for my EFI conversion, and a new export brace (custom made). Later down the line I will need it for the cowl vent problem, front D/S floorpan section, and the radiator support. Maybe also for the p/s door panel. I don't know anything about welding, I have a friend who can weld in the O2 sensor bungs, and I can buy scrap sheetmetal and practice with it before tackeling the other things.

I know this isn't the best welder, but I haven't much cash to work with. Plus I'm not going to use it but maybe 3-4 times a year... if that.

55250.gif

For use with or without gas. Comes with welding torch, tip, grounding cord with clamp, brush/hammer, hand held welding mask and manual.

Factory reconditioned, factory perfect; Input: 230V, 60 Hz, single phase; Welding current range: 30-120 amps; Duty cycle: 15% @ 115 amps; Draws 15 amps @ 230V; Max. open circuit voltage: 36V; Weldable wires: .023", .030", and .035 steel or stainless steel; .030" and .035" aluminum; .030" flux core

• Sponsors (?)

stangman16 said:
I just need a welder to weld my O2 sensor bungs for my EFI conversion, and a new export brace (custom made). Later down the line I will need it for the cowl vent problem, front D/S floorpan section, and the radiator support. Maybe also for the p/s door panel. I don't know anything about welding, I have a friend who can weld in the O2 sensor bungs, and I can buy scrap sheetmetal and practice with it before tackeling the other things.

I know this isn't the best welder, but I haven't much cash to work with. Plus I'm not going to use it but maybe 3-4 times a year... if that.

55250.gif

For use with or without gas. Comes with welding torch, tip, grounding cord with clamp, brush/hammer, hand held welding mask and manual.

Factory reconditioned, factory perfect; Input: 230V, 60 Hz, single phase; Welding current range: 30-120 amps; Duty cycle: 15% @ 115 amps; Draws 15 amps @ 230V; Max. open circuit voltage: 36V; Weldable wires: .023", .030", and .035 steel or stainless steel; .030" and .035" aluminum; .030" flux core

it will work but its not gonna be the best welds. For the small projects you want to do, I would use it. Im guessing its a harbor freight one just from the look of it. I have seen many people use them. My question is...are you wired for 230v?

If the welder is in your price range it will probably do for sporatic work. 15% duty cycle means you can weld for 1.5 minutes then let it rest for 10 minutes. If it has a warranty, why not try it out and see if it welds scrap metal ok. If so, theres your answer. If not, return it. Remember that you will probably have to pay another $70 for a tank and then fill it.

xoxbxfx said:
it will work but its not gonna be the best welds. For the small projects you want to do, I would use it. Im guessing its a harbor freight one just from the look of it. I have seen many people use them. My question is...are you wired for 230v?

Yeah that's a harbor freight one.. I'm not sure if I'm wired for 230v, what voltage should I look for to use in my garage/outside plugs?

mikec35 said:
If the welder is in your price range it will probably do for sporatic work. 15% duty cycle means you can weld for 1.5 minutes then let it rest for 10 minutes. If it has a warranty, why not try it out and see if it welds scrap metal ok. If so, theres your answer. If not, return it. Remember that you will probably have to pay another $70 for a tank and then fill it.

hmm... didn't know that. So 1.5 mins and the welder itself needs to be off for 10? I sure hope this thing comes w/instructions so I can practice by myself. I do have someone to weld the O2 bungs tho.

I'll probably do w/out gas for the O2 sensor bungs, as I'm not concerned of slag around that part.. but for the export brace and radiator support I would like those to look decent.

Thanks for the replies - I'm trying not to spend more then $200 for a welder w/this 15th paycheck. I kinda want to finish this EFI project ASAP. :)

stangman16 said:
Yeah that's a harbor freight one.. I'm not sure if I'm wired for 230v, what voltage should I look for to use in my garage/outside plugs?

stick to 110v versions... 230 uses a double breaker in the breaker box. Since you didnt know, its safe to say dont even think about wiring a 230v in :D

would this one be preferred for home use? I'm not sure what Volt range to get for these household plugs here. This one's $170.00 so it's still w/in my budget.

I appreciate the input!

-----

85 AMP, 115 VOLT FLUX AND MIG WELDER

For mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. Weld with gas or perform flux cored gasless operations. Features 4 heat settings, variable speed wire-feed regulation and automatic thermal protector with warning light. Optional 7-1/2'' reel adapter lets you use 11 lb. wire reels.

* Welding current range: 25 to 85 amps
* Input: single phase 115 volts, 60 Hz
* Open voltage: 19 to 30
* Duty cycle: 16% @ 75 amps
* Draws 15 amps @ 115 volts
* Weldable wires: 0.023'' to 0.035'' steel and stainless steel, 0.030'' to 0.035'' aluminum, 0.030'' flux-cored

85 amp 115v will work for sheetmetal, but if you could get a 110 amp it would be better. I use an 85 amp and it struggles sometimes. It still works, but you just have to play with the settings a little more often and be a little more patient.

mustangman70 said:
Think i should go with a welder like that also xoxbxfx?
I personally would save your pennies and atleast go with a Lincoln 130v you can get from Lowes. I think its $400 and the welding will be a lot better and its a quality machine. If you plan on using it (which you end up using it more than you think) then get a good machine. If you are hardly ever going to use it, get a cheap one. THe problem with buying cheap is it doesnt hold its value. So if you buy a $200 cheap welder and spend $100 for the gas bottle and then $50 for a cheap helmet...you still have $350 in welding equip. Say you decide you suck at it and want to sell it...its not worth much. With a lincoln or miller, you still have value when it comes to resell