window troubles

Ive got major problems with my window. I was going home last night and it would not roll up. This sucks I am gonna work on it later toaday, but im not really sure what i need to do. The previous owner told me to take the motor out and crank the window up about half way and put er back in an it should work. I think the motor is still good cause i can see the voltage gauge droppin down like normal. Ive always had trouble with this window: it rolls up slow, it squeaks like a mofo when wet, and i think it scratches on something on the inside of the door. If anyone knows how to adjust the window or any advice please help it is supposed to be raining all week here.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you need to rebuild the motor (gear assembly and check the sliders that put tension on the glass.

First remove the door panel (of Course)
remove the power window motor. Remove the cover from the gear asssembly. You should see three oval shaped bushings in the gearset. If you don't and just see a bunch of garbage, then you need to replace the gear assembly or the bushings. I cleaned everything real well and found that the gears in mine were pretty messed up so I changed the entire gearset. You can get all of the parts from 50 Resto fairly cheap. You can even replace the motor bushings if you want to go that far into the motor. When you put the gear assembly back together, make sure to pack the gear housing with a heavy grease. I used a yellow grease I think (did this a long time ago).

I read an article on replacing the motor bushings, but the article said that most of the times you can get away with just cleaning the motor assembly real well. The article said that the position of the motors in the door let all of the dirt and sediment from the motor fall into the commutator/brush assembly and jam them up.

Next look ino the door and you should see two -three little tabs with felt on them. They are prbably worn to sh*&. Take the off and replace the felt, using a spray adhesive or try and get new ones.

After that since you will have the door apart already, get two window guide bushings from 50Resto and replace the guide bushings on the center rod that the window rides on. This will keep your window going up and down in a straight line, instead of tipping forward and backward.

I used to have that problem with my passenger window all the time. Turned out that the window tracks were missalligned. Everytime someone slammed my passenger door with the window open, it would come off. Let me tell you, I didn't have to drive home in the pouring rain or sub zero temperatures to often to get it fixed in a hurry. ;)

FIXXED

Hey thanks for the advise guys but i got it all cleared up. Just like my friend told me I just had to take the motor out and push the window up and put it back in. The motor works just fine, but it is the window that is really jacked. It was way misaligned. Me and my dad messed with the alignment bolts that hold the whole assembly in, and ended up bendin on the top of the door frame. The window would rub REAL hard on the moulding, enough to scratch it, and sometimes go up on the inside of the weatherstrip at the top instead of where it was supposed to. So like I said we pried on that and straigtened it out a little and did some more tweakin and now it is a hell of a lot better than it ever was.

I am sooo glad to be done with this, and have never been happier that my window will actually go up...