Would you rather the '06 Cobra have a S/C V8 or V10?

Would you rather the '06 Cobra have a S/C V8 or V10?

• Supercharged V8

Votes: 78 46.4%
  • V10

Votes: 90 53.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

The problem with ford spending the money on the guages for something else. Is that Ford didn't engineer the guages. They just bought them. Another company did all the money spending to produce those guages.
Also how do you figure the price excuse. When you use the statement. If you want to go faster you have to spend the money". The point of the 350 being faster than a nearly ancient design V6 3.8l mustang. Is exactly if you want to go faster you have to spend the money. Same with the M3 over the gt mustang. I bought my Cobra for $20k. And I smack around M3's all the time (although I have not had the chance to race a new M3.).

SVTdriver said:
I bought my Cobra for $20k. And I smack around M3's all the time (although I have not had the chance to race a new M3.).

E36 M3s are quick but be careful around an E46 M3. They don't mess around.

And about the gauges, its true that Ford didn't do the R&D on them but I am sure they cost more than a conventional gauge. That money spread over a total production line, could have been used on something that wasn't just a novelty.

The question is how much more? I'm not convinced they cost significantly more. Given the fact that beancounters still have final say in the product. So if for example the regular guages were $25 per. And the new 125 color LED's were $125. I don't think that would fly. Not that those figures are even near corrrect. And yes they could have developed something else. But that something else. Like a more powerful engine. Might have raised the production cost of the mustang beyond levels they were comfortable with.
For example engines. I've seen new 03 Cobra motors for about $12,500. The new FR500 engine is supposed to be $14k+/-. The extra $1500 may have been more than Ford wanted to price the car at. Yes Ford gets them cheaper but this is just an example.

SVTdriver said:
You should also look at the price differential between the z and the ford V6 stang. I've got an ad for the 04 V6 stang at $12.6k
The last I looked at the base 350z it was $25k. For the price difference it had better have more hp. Then you have to look at when each engine was designed. My friends 89 merc. cougar has the 3.8 in it. Same thing with the M3. For the price I'd expect to get more hp.
Same thing with the viper. Except that when I got beat by a viper. I say yeah I got beat. But my car does sound better. Gets better fuel economy and didn't cost even 1/2 the price.

Thats not the point (price...). The point is that the v6 is on its last leg in terms of potential. Ask people that are doing aftermarket exhausts on them (350z's). They are gaining no power because there is no power to gain gain from any less backpressure moreoever the heads are maxed out too. The engine is putting out about as much power in its current form as its going to. Our 4.6L's have somewhat more potential than that.

kirkyg

This whole thread....actually this whole 05 Mustang forum is based on "what if". This thread was about what if they put a V10 in the Mustang. We all know good and damn well it will never happen. Ford won't let and neither will any of the buyers. But it would be nice.

kirkyg said:
Thats not the point (price...). The point is that the v6 is on its last leg in terms of potential. Ask people that are doing aftermarket exhausts on them (350z's). They are gaining no power because there is no power to gain gain from any less backpressure moreoever the heads are maxed out too. The engine is putting out about as much power in its current form as its going to. Our 4.6L's have somewhat more potential than that.

kirkyg

Not that in any way shape or form I am defending Nissan. But, so you saying that Nissan actually did a good job designing the exhaust. Oh gods no. That should never happen. Yes it's not getting much more power right now. Unless you add turbos. But the car is only roughly a year old. Look at the aftermarket for the 4.6. Go ahead find some heads that aren't FRPP. I have yet (although I haven't spent any time looking) seen anyone yet offer an aftermarket head for the 350Z. They may in the future. I'm not saying that the 4.6 doesn't have potential. It certainly does. And I am as happy with my 4.6 as I could have been with a 5.0 maybe even happier. I've driven the 350Z track model. The blindspots and lousy acceleration made it a scary proposition.

SVTdriver said:
The question is how much more? I'm not convinced they cost significantly more. Given the fact that beancounters still have final say in the product. So if for example the regular guages were $25 per. And the new 125 color LED's were $125. I don't think that would fly. Not that those figures are even near corrrect. And yes they could have developed something else. But that something else. Like a more powerful engine. Might have raised the production cost of the mustang beyond levels they were comfortable with.
For example engines. I've seen new 03 Cobra motors for about $12,500. The new FR500 engine is supposed to be $14k+/-. The extra $1500 may have been more than Ford wanted to price the car at. Yes Ford gets them cheaper but this is just an example.

It probably cost Ford less than $5 per car to have the 125 color dash vs. a 1 color dash.

As far as the "V8 only for Mustang" & "If it can't sound like a V8 it shouldn't be in a Mustang" people, Then I guess Ford should stop building the V6 stang then, at least the V10 will offer better performance, V6 = wimpy performance and no V8 rumble.

I say as long as Ford can build a V10 Stang for within $2,000 of the supercharged V8 then bring it on.

I bet a 3 valve SOHC 5.8L V10 would cost as much as a DOHC S/C V8

Some people are way to stuck in the past here, and resistant to change. Its a good thing many of you have no control over what the next mustang will be (although a few of you guys do have some really good ideas for the next stang.)
If the stang wants to keep its performance titles, its needs to be fast. Period. Not "look pretty and sounds mean." Sounding mean sucks when there is no substance. I know its pretty lame when you pull up next to an old muscle car that is extremely mean sounding and loud as hell, but when you both hit it he gets left badly in the dust. If ford could stick a v10 in there, and keep it cost efficient, I say go for it.
Some of you guys who say v10s sound like crap need to hear more than just trucks and pre 03 vipers (I have been told the new vipers sound better, but havenever heard one.) I am sure the new Carrera GT sounds like crap. :rolleyes: I bet the new Gallardo sounds terrible too. We all know a group of f1 cars sounds like speeding ups trucks, right? :rolleyes: I have the video of the 351 v10 mustang on my computer, and it does sound pretty damn badass. Far from sounding like anus.
If ford plans on being a big player in high end performance cars in the years to come, I think a v10 would fit well with a cobra or a shelby. Competition seems like it is going to get pretty fierce in the years to come, both from import and domestic, and it would seem only normal for ford not to skimp on a motor. Plus, putting a supercharger on that 351 v10 from the silver stang test mule would be awesome. :D

Z28x said:
It probably cost Ford less than $5 per car to have the 125 color dash vs. a 1 color dash.

As far as the "V8 only for Mustang" & "If it can't sound like a V8 it shouldn't be in a Mustang" people, Then I guess Ford should stop building the V6 stang then, at least the V10 will offer better performance, V6 = wimpy performance and no V8 rumble.

I say as long as Ford can build a V10 Stang for within $2,000 of the supercharged V8 then bring it on.

Unfortunately this thread is titled to be about the Cobra. So your talking about not having the V6 is fairly irrelevant. We all know and have stated before that the V6 is the majority of sales. The post you have refered to earlier stated nothing bigger than a V8. It did not state that nothing less than 8 should be in a stang. Yes it might be cool to have a V10. But I would doubt that developement of the V10 for a mustang application would keep it within $2000. Yes they created the test mule. That does not mean they have production parts to put the thing in. It would also require safety testing and all the other things involved with bringing an engine into large scale production. In a vehicle that was not neccessarily designed to handle it.

As for the performance titles that the mustang has. Then how come so many people whine about f-bodies having more power?

SVTdriver said:
Unfortunately this thread is titled to be about the Cobra. So your talking about not having the V6 is fairly irrelevant. We all know and have stated before that the V6 is the majority of sales. The post you have refered to earlier stated nothing bigger than a V8. It did not state that nothing less than 8 should be in a stang. Yes it might be cool to have a V10. But I would doubt that developement of the V10 for a mustang application would keep it within $2000. Yes they created the test mule. That does not mean they have production parts to put the thing in. It would also require safety testing and all the other things involved with bringing an engine into large scale production. In a vehicle that was not neccessarily designed to handle it.

As for the performance titles that the mustang has. Then how come so many people whine about f-bodies having more power?

THe mustang never had a Sugercharged on it's either V8, I see a V10 just as far from the norm at a S/C or Turbo on the Stang, and what is next, saying that the Mustang can't have a V8 over a certain displacment? As long as the prices can be kept down a V10 shouldn't be a problem. The V10 is a $600 option in the F-250 so obviously it is not that much more expensive to build. No that is not a typo it is only $600 for the V10

Yes the mustang from the factory never had a S/C. But from nearly the beginning you could get a paxton as an option on a shelby. For a limited time. And back in the 80's you could get one with a turbo. Granted it was not a V8. But still was available. And yes it may only be $600 for an option on the truck. But I suspect the truck was designed to handle it. with safety testing and all other tests done well in advance of offering it. Just because the truck engine is only ready to go. Does not mean the engineering for putting it in a "production" mustang has been done. They have merely tried it as a test mule.

Z28x said:

I agree..

I am not impressed one bit with Fords ability to get power out of the modular engines in N/A form. The tight bore spacing which requires the ridiculously small bores and monster stroke to make up for the small bore shrouds the valves and at the same time makes engines like the 5.4 not very rev happy. The 5.4 in the 00 Cobra R was reported to be having near formula 1 piston speeds due to the stroke being so long. The new 3 valve 5.4 in the F-150 has been getting very bad reviews from the magazines (I know:rolleyes: but it's slower than the old model), in Four Wheeler a loaded F-150 got beat by a Tundra with it's little 4.7 :notnice:

So a way to fix this easily (Ford has said since the beginning of modular production that they could easily add or drop cylinders) would be to add 2 more to the 4.6 which gives us the 5.8 V10. Since the modular engine is so short (take a look at a 4.6 and see how much room there is between the front if the motor and the radiator!) there is plenty of room for this V10 as we have seen with the concept Ford has that looks to fit with no problems.

While they are at it they could slightly increase the bore to 3.7 inches to reduce shrouding and maybe even destroke it a bit which should keep it around 5.8L, which will give it lower piston speeds, and allow it to rev higher. They already have the 3 valve heads, they just need to lengthen them by a cylinder and there's their motor, hell, they already have the block, crank, and pan (from the concept... The pistons, rods, valves, etc. are the same! That engine with a conservative tune for 87 octane should make and easy 350 horsepower and 400ft. lbs. torque. exactly what Ford needs for the F-150 and the new Mustang. It should be the optional motor in the F-150 and an option for the Mustang GT. If the Cobra is going to get 500 horsepower, the GT should at least come in at 350... I mean, a 200 horse gap is 70 more than what it is now. And with the added weight, and the horsepower war going on in the industry, it makes sense.

Even if it was a 3000 dollar option I'd spring for it, Ford needs to get it into their thick skulls that people want power, and we don't all want to have to sell our organs for a Cobra.. :chair:

Are you saying that they need a V10 in the gt? Or that that they need a v10 with 350hp in the Cobra? Even as an optionon the gt. There's just no way it's going to happen. Your option for more hp is the Cobra. With all the rebates and such going on. There are some places the Cobra now is a $3000 option.

The Cobra needs the V-10 in blown or N/A form. The GT in my opinion needs at least 325HP to even make it interesting to current owners to jump over. If not, people like some of us will just build our cars instead. Or sad to say go find a F-body. If you get 300HP stock,I'll just go build a bottom end in my car and get the KB and save the cash. Would'nt be worth my time, new style or not IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.