yes or no for gears?

• Sponsors (?)

GMstomper said:
Went from 2.73's to 3.27's and loved it. May go higher now that I'm starting all over again (she was in hibernation for 2 years!) and shes not my dily driver. But I'm not sure about it with the AOD...dont want to burn thru second and third too quick. Also concerned about my cruising RPM's...especially since I have a problem driving under 75 on the highway. I keep driving faster the older I get. LOL
With 373's and an aod , at 80mph, Im doing exactly 2500rpm !! At 70 Im doing 2300,,and at 60 Im at 2100,,thats with a stock tire size!

willys1 said:
5spds rev higher then aod's,,the old saying,,410's in a aod equal 373's in a 5spd :p

That's because the gear ration in an AOD is 2.48 as the first gear and the 5 speed is like 3.27 on my Tremec and a T-5 has 3.35 or so...so if you were to put the same gears let say 3.73 on both the AOD and the T-5 the T-5 would still feel faster, hence you would have to put 4.10 in the AOD to compete with the 3.73 on the 5 speed...

Acceleration aside, I still don't see what this has to do with highway cruising? The RPM between them in high gear is virtually the same. Yes, the gear spacing between the T-5's 1,2,3 is better than the AOD's 1 and 2, but they also both run a 1:1 ratio in 3rd (AOD) and 4th (T-5). The AOD and the T-5 both have the same .68-.70 O/D. The only difference is that the AOD has it in 4th (which isn't technically another gear, but an overdrive band) and the T-5 has it in 5th.

Highbredcloud said:
Before I converted my AOD I ran 3.73's...at 45MPH I was doing 2500 RPM while in overdrive...with my Tremec I'm at 1900 in 5th gear...that extra gear helps out with a rear differential swap. :nice:
2500 @ 45mph in OD? I need to rethink gearing my aod (don't have the car yet). :notnice: That is horrible. I don't know how to convert the numbers off the top of my head but wouldn't that put you well past 3000rpms at only 60mph? That doesn't sound right to me but I don't have experience with aods so...

Highbredcloud said:
why do some of you find the necessity to disagree with me? :shrug:

Before I converted my AOD I ran 3.73's...at 45MPH I was doing 2500 RPM while in overdrive...with my Tremec I'm at 1900 in 5th gear...that extra gear helps out with a rear differential swap. :nice:

I don't want to be argumentative, but there was something wrong with your tranny if it was turning that many rpm's in od with 3.73's. With a properly operating lock-up with an aod and 3.73's you should be going 70-75mph at 2500rpm's. And FWIW a t-5 has a 0.68 overdrive, while the aod has a 0.67 overdrive.

Gearbanger 101 said:
My guess is that his tach is out to lunch, rather than his trans...

I would have said the same thing, but apparently the tach works with the Tremec so I figured it was something in the tranny. Either way, something was wrong for it to be showing 2500rpm's at 45mph.