Your thoughts: Panhard bar & Ron Morris coil overs?

DK832

Apr 11, 2006
Copenhagen, DK
Well, I've been at the local track a few times in my 69. It REALLY works well with the current setup and tires. I'm running with the M3's and the Porsches, much to their disliking. :p I'm trying out a set of Kumho race tires next time out and Cobra disk brakes will go in at the same time.

I'm thinking 2 upgrades at the moment:

1) Panhard bar in the rear? I'm on 5-leaf Grab-A-Track and SPAX adj. gas shocks, HD shackles and PU bushings, TrueTrac diff. Will I feel a lot of difference? I don't feel I'm having issues with a loose rear. There is a slight overbraking - fix when swapping to Cobra brakes & adj. proportioning valve. But never having driven a car with Panhard bar, how would I know? I know what's written about them, but how about real-world bang-for-the-buck? Is it worth it or should I go for other upgrades?

2) Ron Morris coil over shocks in the front?
http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchan...MP&Product_Code=13788&Category_Code=coil_over
Currently I have ~620 springs, Global West uppers, stock boxed lowers, 1 1/8" sway bar, PU bushings. I definitely need stiffer springs and would also like roller spring perches but would like to keep the Global West parts. So I'm thinking, spend a few xtra $$ and get the above + adj. ride height as a bonus. Make sense?

Comments really appreciated!
:Track:

• Sponsors (?)

First.. I'm not qualified to give advice for a track car (but I can give an opion).

Roller perches will bolt up to the GW arms the same as the stock arms. Worth it.

I don't think panhard bars are nearly as effective on leaf spring cars as the newer models. I feel P/B are mandatory on the 4 link susp, even for the street. Leaf springs support the axle front and rear so it can't move as much. You've already got HD shackles and that's the weak link. I doubt you have that much lateral movement. If you think the rear is shifting that much go for it. I saw my rear tires in my side view mirror on my 94 stang. Couldn't get a PB in there fast enough.

As far as coilovers on the vintage stuff.. I'm not sure what the advantage is here aside from the adjustable ride height. On the newer cars, moving the coil to the out board position gives much greater control. Older cars already have the spring out towards the ball joint.

How's the rest of the chassis? Subframe connectors? Maybe time for a roll bar?

Thanks.

I've got tubular weld-in subframe connectors and am considering a rear sway bar. A roll bar (as in cage) wont happen, I'm going for as close to stock as possible for the interior. A compromise I know.