1987 Mass Airflow Sensor

I want to put a cold air intake into my car, and I'm fairly new to this stuff, but my 87 GT doesnt have a mass airflow unit, I have one but dont really know where to go from there as far as hooking it up to the computer goes. HELP

• Sponsors (?)

You can either buy an 89 Mustang computer harness and computer, and it will be plug and play, or you buy the computer and the maf conversion plug and splice it in that way. They also sell CAI's for non MAF cars as well

If your car isn't equipped to run mass air, then you cannot, nor do you need to, use a mass air meter. 87's were not mass air, but you can still use a cold air intake. They do make them for non-mass air cars, they just delete the mass air part. If you purchased a mass air cold air intake, you can make it work, you just need fab up some type of tubing to take the place of the mass air housing. Really, if you wanted to do it the ghetto way, you could still use a mass air housing, it just wouldn't be plugged in and would really have no other function.

If your car isn't equipped to run mass air, then you cannot, nor do you need to, use a mass air meter. 87's were not mass air, but you can still use a cold air intake. They do make them for non-mass air cars, they just delete the mass air part. If you purchased a mass air cold air intake, you can make it work, you just need fab up some type of tubing to take the place of the mass air housing. Really, if you wanted to do it the ghetto way, you could still use a mass air housing, it just wouldn't be plugged in and would really have no other function.

I haven't seen any cold air intakes without the spot for the mass air, I'll look harder though, thank you, it was very helpful

I want to put a cold air intake into my car, and I'm fairly new to this stuff, but my 87 GT doesnt have a mass airflow unit, I have one but dont really know where to go from there as far as hooking it up to the computer goes. HELP
First, Welcome to Stangnet!

Second, what foolish ricer "cold air intake kit" are you thinking of wasting your money and time on?

You do realize that the STOCK intake set IS a cold air intake. Other than the "ram air" set ups that have a tendency to suck up water, dirt, leaves, bees, small rodents ;), etc, from the road, chances are that the "cold air" intake setup that you're looking at is 100% pure rice and even likely has a reduced real life performance over the STOCK setup.

Of course, I'm assuming that the air intake silencer is off the stock filter box (are any still left on at all?). If your car still has it on, and any other mods where done, then the previous owner(s) where likely 100% clueless about real/useful mods.

Hey, it's your car, money, time, etc.
Put a 12-foot wing on your car if you want. ;)
plymouth-superbird-1a.jpg

But, if you want real information, then the forums are a good place to search and ask.

NOTE: IMHO, there's still a chance of getting bad/poor advice/information. Nothing in life is guaranteed (except death and taxes :)). Still, overall, there's a lot of good info in the forums.

Just get a k&n and throw it in stock airbox.. Cold air intakes for these cars are worthless.. You will notice no difference..

True words :nice:

Mass air came on 5.0 Cali 88 Mustangs, and was standard equipment on all 89 -93 5.0 Mustangs.

There is no need to convert to Mass air unless you currently have or plan to have some serious modifications. Some examples of the items that need Mass Air are supercharger, aftermarket heads or aftermarket camshaft. These things radically change the vacuum or airflow, and that upsets the stock Speed Density computer. Most of the simple bolt ons like exhaust, intake manifold, and such don't need a Mass air conversion.

If ypu plan on upgrading one day, just get a MAF sensor and put it in...but don't wire it up.

Here's my car with a 70mm MAF sensor installed, without he stock air box setup. Been like this for several year...still haven't changed to MAF yet.

Ps...I chucked my bbk cld air setup in the trash and put the stock air box and panel k&n back in

DSC000133.jpg