1988 GT - Clearing codes

• Sponsors (?)

pull the negative off battery and press the brake pedal a few times let sit a few minutes and reconnect the negative on battery codes should be clear and usually if the problem still exists it will show within 10 mins. of driving....i would hit the throttle wide open for a few secs. during this 10 mins. of driving...

Easy way to clear codes: connect the jumper wire up like you are going to dump the codes. Then turn the key to Run and when the test light or Check Engine Light starts to flash, disconnect the jumper. This clears the stored codes but does not erase the adaptive settings that the computer "learned".

does this work with a code reader too? if i plug my reader in, then turn key forward, and then quickly get outta the car and unplug it? (i don't have the extention cable). should i start a scan before i unplug it?

does this work with a code reader too? if i plug my reader in, then turn key forward, and then quickly get outta the car and unplug it? (i don't have the extention cable). should i start a scan before i unplug it?

Turn the ignition switch to the Run position and start the scan. Unplugging the reader while the codes are being displayed will clear the codes.