300 RWHP N/A

scupking

Sep 18, 2005
Enfield, CT
I just ordered Steeda U/D pulleys. After I get those installed I think I will have all the major bolt ons. Next year I will be going for some cams to round out my N/A project. I’m trying to figure out what cam to go with, Comp 262 or VT stage 1? My goal is 300 RWHP or close to it.

• Sponsors (?)

300rwhp is really tough with an automatic.

Instead of cams you might want to look into a torque converter. It would make alot bigger difference on your ET than cams. (and free up some hp at the same time)

My co-worker's bro has a 97 GT that just dyno'd at 303rwhp. He has the following list of mods.. It's a 5 speed though
Livernois 5.0 stroker kit
BBK Longtubes
cold air intake
pi head/intake swap
comp stage 3 cams
intake plenum and tb
diablosport maf ia
H pipe w/hi flo cats
exhaust
4.10's
underdrive pulleys... And I think that's about it other than a clutch and billet flywheel.

My co-worker's bro has a 97 GT that just dyno'd at 303rwhp. He has the following list of mods.. It's a 5 speed though
Livernois 5.0 stroker kit
BBK Longtubes
cold air intake
pi head/intake swap
comp stage 3 cams
intake plenum and tb
diablosport maf ia
H pipe w/hi flo cats
exhaust
4.10's
underdrive pulleys... And I think that's about it other than a clutch and billet flywheel.

I wonder how much low-end torque he lost with the stage 3 cams. I don't want to lose any low-end torque. I could get a P&P with VT stage 1s which should push up the power some. The local performcane tuning shop said they would charge $900 for the cam install and $275 for an hour dyno tune.

Honestly man, I don't know your goals for your car, but a torque converter would make your car alot faster than cams would. Kick the idea around a little; it would not be much difference in price either.

Or take the easy way out and get a $300 used NX kit ;)

I dynoed 267.7 with intake, exhaust, (no long tubes) comp stage II cams and a tune, so, with long tubes, I'd be close, maybe with pullies I would get there...dunno...

That’s about a 50RWHP increase over stock. Not to bad. You would probably be around 275-280 with pullies. Do you have any sound clips? Nothing sounds better then a stang with cams.

i thought i was gonna hit 300 with my mods but i didnt. i think that was due to the stage 1 blower cams though. just because i got blower cams i probably missed out on 15 na rwhp.

Do you not like your stall? I see yours is 3200.

no, don't get me wrong - i love my stall for what it is and does. But it's not very applicable in having an all around fast stang. On top of having still NPi heads and cams, Stage II's would liven up my car a lot more than the TC IMO but im staying away from any internal work for 2 more years. TC is great if your in a dig (or very low mph roll) type of launch - but it's pretty bad for traction if you dont have large meats or slicks too. In all honesty buying a TC w/out doing anything else to your tranny is like putting on headers and no other exhaust parts; yeah it's a great improvement, but you might as well go all the way if your going to take the trouble to (in this case drop the tranny). Plus a good lock-up 10.5-11" converter is friggin expensive for our trannys

P.S. 3200-3600 stall or bust. 3000 only if your worried about traction, not if your worried about driveability. Unless your running 450+ torque to the ground a 3400 or so TC won't effect your day to day driving a whole lot; but it will rocket your ass outta the whole

Talking from experience, I know what it takes to make 300 RWHP N/A with a 4R70W auto. My 96 TBird has done that goal easily, I am aiming for 375 RWHP N/A with my car now. With what my car is making right now, that should be acheiveable.

That said, you will need a good set of heads and a good exhaust( Long Tube headers ) to accomplish your goal. I will recommend the same cam I am using in my TBird( Crower Stg 2 PI SC cam ).

That’s about a 50RWHP increase over stock. Not to bad. You would probably be around 275-280 with pullies. Do you have any sound clips? Nothing sounds better then a stang with cams.

I'll try and get a video up today or tommorow, the idle is set at 850 and it sounds pretty thumpy...these mod engines with cams do sound awesome, plus the mac pro-chamber and flowmasters help of course...I cant wait till I get a kooks system installed this winter...:)

I'll try and get a video up today or tommorow, the idle is set at 850 and it sounds pretty thumpy...these mod engines with cams do sound awesome, plus the mac pro-chamber and flowmasters help of course...I cant wait till I get a kooks system installed this winter...:)

man i wanna hear that clip lol.

Also guys when it comes to Longtube headers: is there a difference in hp and torque? Like does one set such as MAC make less power then like the SLP? Thanks guys:nice: