351 stroker guys

my engine builder also says that 351 blocks are much stronger. maybe he should have built your engines ... :D

Actually I haven't really heard that late model blocks are stronger than late model 302's. I'm assuming they would be, but I just don't know. I always hear that the older blocks are much stronger, but I haven't heard much about the late model blocks. :shrug:

If you want a strong factory block, get a 351 Cleveland :nice: :D

• Sponsors (?)

Late model blocks are still stronger than 302 by a longshot. I can get more details ..if y'all like. ;) But I have done lots of homework already and still waiting on the challenger to back up his statements...

...oh, why not...here's more data...

"Now let's focus on 351W conversions. We've built and installed dozens of 351W's in late model Mustangs and the results are very positive. The 351W is the answer to many of the 302's weaknesses. Even a late model 351W block ('79 - present), which is the weakest of all 351W castings, is significantly stronger than any production 302 including pre '81 302 blocks. The blocks are so much more rigid than 302's that while trying to squeeze every last hp out of our 351W '88 LX at Maple Grove, we detonated the engine hard enough to brake 2 pistons. Breaking pistons may sound like a tragedy, but it showed how well the 351W keeps head gaskets in place, all we were using were Fel-Pro 1011-1's, they weren't high tech head gaskets. If it had been a late model 302 block, we would have easily blown 4 sets of head gaskets during the weeks leading up to Maple Grove."

Ok, since we already have enough confusion about the strength of the 351, what about the dart and man o' war blocks, what are they good till?

Also, this thread is extremely helpfull, lots of good info.

Grn92lx, I'll take what my engine builder has to say too over what I read on this forum, but he has been building SBFs for a long while and has gotten 700 hp out of late model 351 blocks.

That's about what Eades is making with his stock block 331. ;)

I agree with you guys, I think the 351 block is stronger than any 302 block, I just can't recall seeing any actual proof about the late model blocks. They may not be significantly stronger, but they almost have to be at least a little tougher than the 302.

That's about what Eades is making with his stock block 331. ;)

I agree with you guys, I think the 351 block is stronger than any 302 block, I just can't recall seeing any actual proof about the late model blocks. They may not be significantly stronger, but they almost have to be at least a little tougher than the 302.

Stock block!!!!! Wow, I just got a lot more respect for the stock 302 block, but that's got to be the exception, not the standard, right?

There's prob plenty of non-dart 302/306 blocks hitting potential blow up rwhp but all things equal based on my research above, the 351W will run what they are running and add much more.

Yes, Pre-74 has literally 10 pounds more material in the casting or something on average. This is significant. But again, the late model 351W is still hands down a winner over ANY 302 - again above. That's not to say a 302 can't run xxx rwhp, just that a 351 WILL run more.

Ok ... Ok :D

I think everybody needs to take one step back and chill here :cheers:

While I have seen many sources say the Windsor is more
durable than the 5.0 block

I also have to say Mike has been on this board a long time :nice:

True ... at times he can be very blunt with his answers :eek:
and
he seems to come on a bit strong :stick:

HOWEVER!!!

His avatar does plainly say he is from NY :rlaugh:

I'm just tryin to show he is not some noobie to our hobby
and
he has helped many in the past from what I've seen :)

IIRC ... Rick ??? built Mike's 347 and if that is so ........

I've seen him post stuff on Hardcore, here, and other places.
IMHO ... He seems to be very knowledgeable and experienced

So ...... Having Said All That :D

Something in this whole deal just don't add up to me :shrug:

I got a sneakin suspicion ;)
We don't have all the accurate facts :nono:
in this particular part of the discussion

Grady

Whats that supposed to mean? hahaha :D

Well ... let me put it ...... this way Mike :D

Once for business, I was up in that general area
or
As we call it down here ... neck of the woods ;)

I GOTTA TELL YA :rlaugh:

It was total culture shock :eek:
for this ......
Good Ole Easy-Goin Texas Boy :)

It was like ... EVERYBODY woke up in the morning and said ...
"I just can't wait for the opportunity to be mean to somebody" :eek:

Now Then Mike :D

Fill in the blanks for us about your builder's Windsor thoughts!

Grady

well my builder is the one that pushed me into the 351 based block. he told me they were stronger and for what i could put one together for it would well be worth it to get the extra power and strenght...he also said once we stroke it if i still am not happy with the power i wouldn't have to be afraid to step up to a supercharger or anything hw said those motors can take a real beating... i cant remember everything he said but he was just talking and talking and he convinced me to go that route....i have seen his cars and what they are capiable of and lets just say my mind was made up very easily:D

Wow!! I didn’t think there would be so much controversy over a 351 block being stronger than a 302. For those that don’t believe and are only taking their builders word for it , take a look with your own two eyes. Compare the two side by side. I think you will be amazed at how much difference there is. There are also numerous articles like have been stated in the last few answers supporting the strength. They also weigh a lot more yet they are not that much bigger. The weight is more metal in all the critical areas for strength. I never imagined there would be any question that it is stronger. :shrug:

I would love to hear from the guys who have builders that say they are weaker. What EXACTY are their reasons for saying this? What experiences have they had to support their claims? Please let us all know. Please share their wisdom; I’m sure I’m not the only one who want’s to know.

yeah i was shocked to see the weaker comment too...i dont get it...i want to see how they feel its weaker too...or not any stronger i think is what he said...either way i have no idea where that statement came from...?