370+ HP at the wheels in N/A 05+ ???

nmcgrawj

Advanced Member
Sep 28, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Hey guys,watching horsepower TV and heard some figures they threw out based on a 05+ GT. They said stock it made 260 at the wheels. They stroked it(didnt say exact displacement, im assuming the usual 4.6 - 5.0, ported the heads, added new cams and then i heard 370+ hp AND tq.

But i didnt hear at the rear wheels.....marketing scheme to make it sound better than what it really is?

• Sponsors (?)

Are those numbers really possible though from the straight forward mods they did? Port the heads, stroke it, and cam it? I didnt think 4.6s were that powerful N/A. Thats getting into LS1 territory with 50 less cubes. Thats over 400 hp at the crank! I could believe 370 at the crank, but they gained over 110hp if my ears didnt lie to me.

Anyone have any personal experience with the new 3valves and N/A power?

The cylinders were bored out but they did not say to what size. It was not a 281 anymore. The increased engine size, stroking it, cam, worked over heads its very possible.

I'm watching Power Block too...they did say that they bored and stroked it to a 5.0 and those numbers were rwhp.
The 4.6s are capable of good horsepower especially when you talk to Sean Hyland. But they just don't make the raw power and torque like the old pushrods. It's more like smooth and refined like the european cars...I've driven a couple of 3Vs and A. the new cars are HUGE compared to ours:eek: and B. they just feel sluggish cuz they don't have the low end torque.

Yea i know it was stroked/bored, and 4.6s cant go beyond 5.0 im pretty sure right?

Besides, at 302 cubic inches, i'd like to compare the driveability of a SOHC vs. a pushrod making 370rwhp. :jawdrop:

Is this a 3valve thing? 4valves can make the same power right? I cant imagine 2 Valves being too far behind right?

The other thing is the price tag to do this kind of upgrade :shrug:

This was also after a tune and I think a lot of bolts ons otherwise. The 3v's seem to make really good power with the stroke/cam/ported heads mods. I read about head flow graphs that are not far behind some 4v heads.

I seems the 3v response to mods wise is more inline with a 4v than a 2v.

Musclecar had SH on today bulding a n/a 4v and it put out IIRC almost 500 crank hp with the stock bore/stroke with cams/headwork/multi t-body intake IIRC. That would be around 400-425 in a manual car.

I'm watching Power Block too...they did say that they bored and stroked it to a 5.0 and those numbers were rwhp.
The 4.6s are capable of good horsepower especially when you talk to Sean Hyland. But they just don't make the raw power and torque like the old pushrods. It's more like smooth and refined like the european cars...I've driven a couple of 3Vs and A. the new cars are HUGE compared to ours:eek: and B. they just feel sluggish cuz they don't have the low end torque.

well they make more peak tq and more low end tq than are cars

It is very easy to do it, take this 2005 for example:

Mods are

-Hitech Motorsport ported heads
-Long tube headers
-C&L CAI
-UD pullies
-High flow cats
-Hitech Motorsport 87oct tuning
-Stock cat-back
-Stock cams
-Stock intake
-Stock 55,000 mile short block
-Stock TB
-Charge motion plates still in place, and operating as factory.

340 RWHP/346 RWTQ

THe 3V's are very impressive. I have seen where 5.0 stroker 3V's are making upwards of 400rwhp!! The variable cam timing really help these cars make good low end torque and BIG horsepower with large camshafts with over 240 degrees of duration @ .050!! That is impossible with a old 302ci small block ford unless you run lot's of compression.

Technology is great! I am really excited to see what comes out of ford in the next few years as there is supposed to be a 400hp base v8 mustang out by 2011. It is supposed to be a design very similar to the modular motors but with a larger bore spacing that will allow the engine to go as big as 427ci. I just hope the current gas prices don't kill this engine before it ever goes into production