4.6 versus 5.0

johnsonsinutah

Jul 26, 2008
Not sure what forum to post this in, but I thought I'd try here. I MAY have an opportunity to pick up a 94 GT convertible with extremely low miles for under $4K, I currently own a 98 GT, assuming all else is equal would the 94 GT with low miles and a 5.0 be a better choice than my 98 with the 4.6? Both are automatics.

Appreciate all thoughts...

• Sponsors (?)

A PI headswap is a better deal for the money unless there is some issue with your 98. While there is nothing inherently wrong with the pushrod 5.0, the overhead cam design makes more power for the displacement.

The downside to the overhead cam design is increased bulk and weight, but there is honestly more potential and the powerband is broader over the rpm range with an overhead cam 4.6 so the car you have is a better machine, strictly speaking.

Obviously you can build a pushrod engine into a screamer, but the 4.6 is better out of the box than the 5.0. You could sell your 98 and put the money into the 94 obviously, but there is a whole lot more to do, and things like clutch, brakes, shocks, bushings, etc. all have 4 more years of age on the older body. So unless there is something wrong with your 98, I would just do the PI swap on the 98 and enjoy your new high rpm power. It'll feel like a whole new car, and for far less money and downtime than the 94 would take to get to that point.

Stock for stock, the 98 is the better car. Like stated above, the pushrod can be made fast easily but the 94/95's are real picky about mods and such w/o a full tune. The 98 has obdII computer on it so it much more user friendly and you can tune it yourself (with the help of a hand held programer).

Your a cheap pi head swap away from having one fun car.

Oh, the 98 has a WAY better trans imho.....

Thanks for the input, the plan would have been to sell the 98 which would more than make up for the cost of the 94...but then yesterday my wife told me of her plan to take the 98 herself if I bought the other...indeed leaving me in the hole financially...nothing wrong with the 98 although I'll probably have to repaint it in a year or two. I guess the other option would be to buy the 94 if its nice, drive it for the summer and then flip it hopefully for more than I paid...ahhh to difficult..

With how close these are stock for stock, I don't think the question here is 4.6 vs. 5.0, I think it’s more hard top vs. convertible.

The newer car is always the better bet everything else being equal, but you're talking two completely different models here.

Well, just saw pictures of the car, looks in good shape, yellow exterior with a white top, but red interior. No offense to anyone who may like the color combo, but yellow exterior and red interior is a no go for me no matter how few miles are on the car...thanks again for the input, interesting to think through if nothing else, I'll just be happy with my laser red 98 GT convertible.

Take a little less cash and get the TF heads and intake. Then you will be in LS2 power teritory and doing it on all motor :nice:

I look foreward to seeing a stock looking GT put the hurt on a LS1 Camaro and the hurt boy wearing the bow tie says "Yeah but it took a power adder" and you just pop the hood and there is a lonley littly 4.6 sitting there all by itself looking all innocent. :rlaugh: :flag:

I would not be too concerned with the mileage.. On a 15 year old car it does not matter if it's only got 30k on it. it's still 15 years old and will have problems.. We get in cars at my work all the time with really low miles that are toilets.

Everything degrades over time even if it's parked in the driveway