5.0 vs 4.6 sohc...did I make the right choice?

Juggalo95

May 27, 2007
I got a sn95 5.0 because I always like 5.0s but dont like the fox body style much(too dated) but loved the 94+ style....I noticed that theres some parts that only work on 93 and older 5.0? whys that? I guess hp is the same for 5.0 and 4.6 till around 98? Does the 5.0 put out more torque? Im just curious and asking these questions as I still dont know as much about our cars yet

heres a pic/link to the summit h pipe http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-640945&view=32&N=700+

• Sponsors (?)

5.0's have tranny tweaking torque...4.6's cost alot more to mod, i love pushrod motors thats why i bought my 94 to modify, but have the 02 GT for long trips, you cant beat a 4.6 for smoothness but thats why my girlfriend drives it :)

You guys may flip over my comment but I hope not. If I went again it might be 4.6 because of my goals. With the new caddie coming out with 600-700 HP in a coupla years, OTHER cars are going to follow. 400-600HP with be more common one day. My goal is to enjoy the car but the idea of the mustang to ME is to beat the higher model cars every now and then..you know, to blow away the high dollar car now and then (on a closed course trac under optimum conditions).

That being said, the 4.6 block holds what 1000-1200 HP? The 5.0 is very weak in my o in the category. This has always been disappointing to me. OTHER than that, the 5.0 is known for better low end TQ and AWESOME sound.

some 87-93 parts don't fit because there are some differences, for example, the accessories are a little closer to the block on 94/95 cars, so the water pump, a/c, and power steering pumps are not compatible.

stuff like that.

the 5.0 has better low end torque, but the lower intake is a real restriction and the heads don't breathe as well, so in a race, a 5.0 will start out better but lose it on the upper end because the 4.6 breathes better up high.

modding a 5.0 is alot less expensive though, and there countless options.

for a fairly extreme version of the options, look at my sig. it is really hard to do something like that with a 4.6 base

A 99-04 GT will run 13.3 with exhaust, gears and DR's. An SN95 5.0L can't do that. A 4.6L Cobra of the same period will run 12.9 with the same mods. An SN95 that runs 12's NA will not have the reliability of a 4.6L. If you simply want speed, and don't want to mess wiht the engine a whole lot, I think the '99-04 is the way to go.

A 99-04 GT will run 13.3 with exhaust, gears and DR's. An SN95 5.0L can't do that. A 4.6L Cobra of the same period will run 12.9 with the same mods. An SN95 that runs 12's NA will not have the reliability of a 4.6L. If you simply want speed, and don't want to mess wiht the engine a whole lot, I think the '99-04 is the way to go.

Depends on how you build the sn95, you CAN make it reliable with alot of HP with a good built engine and the right tune :nice:

What is the HP and/or Torque goal? Streetable or daily driver?

I could see a person who would never visit a drag strip or road course being content with 300 to 350 rwhp (320 to 370 rwtq). If the torque comes on early and stays strong to 5,500 rpm, idles good, sounds decent, and is reliable with no leaks, what's to complain about?

I'm sure there's a few people out there who have put too much power into their daily driver, only finding themselves in the situation where they need a second vehicle to take over that role. You can compromise on many things, but eventually (if a daily driver is the goal) you gotta stop compromising on having decent wet traction, reliability, and a liveable idle. Gas mileage ain't an issue, unless you've worked it down to single digits.

I'll have fun modding the engine on my own stang for more power this Fall, but if I had to buy another stang and wanted over 350 rwhp or way beyond, I'd look into a 03/04 Cobra (just need a pulley swap, front brake upgrade, and the rear suspension hop fix from MM and she's good to go. Throw on a KB for massive power).

Just a quick thought.

These threads about SBF's and the latter Mod Motors will never die
because
Not everybody has the same expectations.

No doubt the Mod Motors will put out the power :nice:
but
They are more from mid range and up than from mid range and down

If that don't bother one ............

They would not see the advantage the push rod motor can offer
if
One takes advantage of parts that favor its low end curve

Again ... Its all about what you want :)

You can take a push rod motor and build it for a race application
and
It can be great for the 1/4 mile but have a very soft low end :(

For me ... For a Street Car ... Even the more so ... If talking Daily Driver

I just won't accept a soft low end :nono:
No matter if its got push rods or not :D

Ford hosed when they made it only 281 cubic inches :Word:
and
A bigger motor would fix the Bow Wow low end :notnice: it now has got ;)
unless
You add a bit of boost to make up for the hose up in tiny size :D

Grady