94 GT fouling plugs?

Gino 12689

Sep 2, 2009
Hey guys, just a quick question:

Just 2 weeks ago, I ordered a custom tuned SCT chip from American Muscle for my Mustang. I had three tunes that came along with the chip. I run the car on a 93 octane "race" tune. The car has a CAI, Magnapacks, and and a Magnaflow offroad x-pipe.

Just yesterday, I was driving the car and went to get on the highway. I stepped on it, and brought it up to redline in first, then went into second. However, once in second, the engine spit and sputtered and bogged down. I tried again, and same thing. No matter what gear I'm in, once I reach about 4000 RPM, the motor starts to sputter and it loses it's grunt. Once I shift and the RPMs fall, it's fine. No lights, no knocking, nothing. It idles fine, fires right up, and is fine until the RPMs hit 4 grand.

Now my question is, could the 93 tune be fouling the plugs? I replaced the plugs(Autolite coppers) and fuel filter last year when I bought the car and before I did any mods. I plan on throwing in some platinum plugs tomorrow, and see if that clears it up.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Just spoke with a rep from SCT/BAMA tuning, and they said that the race tune shouldn't cause any long term damage. The rep told me it's really just an aggressive street tune. I honestly think it may just be coincidence that this is happening now after I installed the chip. It's been in there fine for over 2 weeks now.

Now, I just got back from the store with some new copper plugs, and I also purchased 2 brand new O2 sensors(current ones are stock and have just over 99,000 miles on them.)

Gonna throw the new plugs and sensors in and see how the car behaves.