About to buy 13" BRAKES...OPINIONS PLEASE!!! (SSBC vs COBRA brakes)

91LX_5L

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
British Columbia
Alrighty. I decided some nice 13" brakes will be a nice addition to my car. I do have 18" Wheels (roush). I have a 94 but decided to post in here to get more opinions mabye some of you know about these brakes?

These are the front brakes I am looking at:
SSBC 13" Extreme Brakes
http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/689/?make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=1994
46.jpg

they are supposed to be better then the cobra brakes.

These are the rears I was going to get:
Baer 13"
http://www.brothersperformance.com/shop/mustang/bae2262011.html
small.jpg

Do you think these will work fine?

Now this setup is going to run me $1100 in total, a local has this set for sale brand new with red calipers and ss front lines, and hawk pads for the front and rear.

Now what I want a opinion on is do you think it is worth this front kit over the cobra kit. The cobra kit with the exact same rears will run me $900+ (might be over 900 after taxes, shipping, border fees etc im in Canada im talking US$). Plus cobra doesnt come with hawk pads.

So this setup is going to cost me $200 more then using cobra fronts and the same baer rears.

Will I need the cobra brake booster (dont know if I have the name right?) and im going to get SS lines for the rear of course. Anything else I should know before I buy these?

Please shoot me your opinions!!!
Thanks sorry for the long read,
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Kilgore Trout said:
What a f'n waste of time and money.
Dude if you cant add to the post ,Then DONT say ANYTHING...

To the original poster.The Brakes really depend on what the car will be used for.

Normal cobra 13" upgrades and upgrading the rear to cobra specs(same caliper just different brackets and rotors).WIll greatly improve the braking of the car without a lot of money.

If you plan on road racing it the setup you posted would be great.

white99gt said:
AS a mod im asking nice.
I am not breaking any rules so it does not matter if you are a mod or not. He asked for opinions.

At least tell him WHY its a waste of money.
No problem!

To quote the greatest tome of Mustang knowledge EVER created, www.bullittarchive.com:
---------------------------------------------------
Brake rotors, Upgrades
Selling points

* Quicker stopping

* Less fading due to improved cooling

Things to consider

* Unless you are road racing, your stock rotors are fine. If you go with LARGER rotors, you are not getting stopping ability you are getting the ability to run the brakes hotter for longer.

* You are already able to lock the brakes up and engage the ABS system at any time.... so you already have braking power, the larger rotors giving you staying power. Drilled and slotted rotors look neat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soooo, I highly doubt he is road racing. Therefore $1100 for bigger brakes is, as I SAID, a total waste of time and money.

Kilgore Trout said:
Therefore $1100 for bigger brakes is, as I SAID, a total waste of time and money.

There are a lot of mods some people consider a waste of money. Saleen Body Kits, Racing Seats, millions of Autometer Gauges. 18" Wheels, CAI's, etc. Everyone has an opinion on what is a waste and what is not. I wouldn't consider brakes a waste.

If you go to a larger rotor you DO increase your braking force. I don't care what the bullittarchive says it's wrong. Period. Larger rotors give you a larger moment arm to work with and requires less energy to stop. The greater mass of the rotor disappates heat better and keeps it cooler giving you a better bite. You don't need a repeated stop to feel the difference. Go out on the highway at 75MPH and have a moose walk out in front of you about 300 feet away. In a GT you will feel the brakes bite hard and then begin to fade when you get to about 45MPH as the get hot. It only takes one all-out panic stop from 75MPH to completely fade a GT's brakes to mush. A Cobra's brakes will hold out much longer and give you more confidence in braking.

And locking your wheels up is a poor way to measure braking ability. A Cobra can lock it's wheels up, so can a geo metro. So with that in mind, a geo metro and a cobra should both have the same braking ability since they can both lock their wheels up right??

Larger brakes = better performance on the street period. My Cobra 13" conversion was definitely NOT a waste of money.

Kilgore Trout said:
I am not breaking any rules so it does not matter if you are a mod or not. He asked for opinions.

No problem!

To quote the greatest tome of Mustang knowledge EVER created, www.bullittarchive.com:
---------------------------------------------------
Brake rotors, Upgrades
Selling points

* Quicker stopping

* Less fading due to improved cooling

Things to consider

* Unless you are road racing, your stock rotors are fine. If you go with LARGER rotors, you are not getting stopping ability you are getting the ability to run the brakes hotter for longer.

* You are already able to lock the brakes up and engage the ABS system at any time.... so you already have braking power, the larger rotors giving you staying power. Drilled and slotted rotors look neat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soooo, I highly doubt he is road racing. Therefore $1100 for bigger brakes is, as I SAID, a total waste of time and money.

:scratch: Can't say i agree with that post. According to that theory, there is no point in having bigger brakes at all...

"If you go with LARGER rotors, you are not getting stopping ability you are getting the ability to run the brakes hotter for longer."

I know that makes sense, but you ARE getting stopping power, especially if u go with different pads and power-slot rotors that will not let you heat up the brakes as quickly.

And cross-drilled rotors are a waste of money. They weaken the integrity of the rotors and the gases leaking through the holes make the rotors more prone to warping and breaking. If you get rotors, get powerslotted rotors.

And personally, I would just get the 13" Cobra brakes. You can be all said and done with SS brake lines for like $500. I think even STEEDA sells a kit. Just get the cobras and save the extra $500+ it will cost for the other set.

Mustang5L5 said:
There are a lot of mods some people consider a waste of money. Saleen Body Kits, Racing Seats, millions of Autometer Gauges. 18" Wheels, CAI's, etc. Everyone has an opinion on what is a waste and what is not. I wouldn't consider brakes a waste.

:stupid: body kits man :nonono: they make the car look so nice, but DAMN I personally think they are a waste of money. Cost money to buy, ship, prep, paint and install. Its like $1,000+. All show and no go. I try and stay away from making the car look fast, until it is fast.

The thing that sucks about any of the Ford Racing brake kits is they usually come with with rotors and pads. I want to do that upgrade but then I'll have to wait for a bit to get the PowerSlot Rotors and Hawk Pads. Cause I would guess there isn't much of a market for plain ol' Cobra rotors and pads.

ok ok read this please then submit more opinions...

I did the math and acutally figured it out the Cobra PBR front brakes with baer 13" rear will cost me $228 less. But with the SSBC setup and the same baer 13" rear I will get hawk pads both front and rear.

So do you think its worth the $228 over the Cobra brakes? Seems like it to me but I want opinions please. There was a good writeup in a 5.0 mag on these same SSBC brakes which they replaced a set of cobra brakes with.

I want my car to stop better, I have 18" Chrome wheels which dont help lol. I drive my moms 2003 Jetta TDI and man does that thing stop well, its such a nice feeling of having good brakes. My car doesnt brake too badly but I cant say that it brakes good at all.

Personally I would if you're going to get Cobra front brakes, get Cobra rears. Your rear brakes hardly do anything. I don't think getting Bears in the back is worth it.

Overall I would try to match whatever you do in the front with whatever you do in the back. (Cobra - Cobra or Bear - Bear, etc.)

I remember another thread about this, and what was figured out was the the 13" rears just have a really big center part, the actual stopping area doesn't increase. And then the looks thing kills it for me, cause you'd have Bear calipers and rotors out back and then Cobra stuff up front personally I think it would look kinda funny. But to each their own, I'm not here to flame ya, just offering my opinion!

well the fronts would either be the SSBC (leaning towards these) or the cobra, and the rear would yes be the baer. but there is no markings or anything on the rear since it uses the stock calipers. so no one will know unless they know wayyy to much about mustang brakes, it will be nearly impossible to tell that the rears are a diffrent brand.

I plan on geting the Cobra kit.
I like the PLAIN rotor look and stock caliper look.

Whole kit is like $789
Two Cobra Front Calipers and Pads
Two Cobra Rear Calipers and Pads
Two Front 13 inch Rotors
Two Rear 11.65 inch Rotors
Caliper Mounting Brackets
Moan Braces
Dust Shield and Bolts
Banjo Bolts
Front OEM Cobra Brake Lines

All I know, stock for stock my 01 Cobra stops WAY better then my GT........

seriously man, go with BAER. Before, I thought my brakes were good with the stock ones. Now, I wouldn't go back to those for anything. If I am going 90 MPH down the road, and push my brake to the ground as hard as I can in an "attempt" to lock up the brakes, they won't. I just stop...nothing else to it...you stop...they are unreal...your stopping ability is unbelievable..

here are some pics to persuade you:

kit.jpg

rotors.jpg

rimcleanest.jpg

and a car show pic showing them off:

tallywood_007.jpg

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 89
  • rotors.jpg
    rotors.jpg